Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBT DIY background / waterfall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: FBT DIY background / waterfall Reply with quote

After a bit of help from you guys...
Have spent all evening looking at old posts, but couldn't find the answer. I want to build a fake background in a fbt tank, but to include a waterfall. I want to build something that will not be removed, so all pumps pipes etc hidden inside (yes, i know this will be a prob if something breaks!), but unsure what to build it outta so it safe and non toxic. Do I go with the expanding foam method, or polystyrene method, or another completely different.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding foam is good, as is the PVA and peat method. We have somewhat of an expert here on the subject whom I am sure will come out of the woodwork when he sees this and help you out, WON`T YOU PAUL? Laughing
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum by the way! Smile
www.btcvcymru.org
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Peter.
I always forget to do that intro bit!!
I'd been posting on 'livefoods', but thought I'd try here as well. Fingers crossed all the pro's will come and help!

Chris
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You`ll get plenty of help here, we are a friendly bunch. If you say hello on the "Say hello" section you will find out. Laughing
www.btcvcymru.org
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Ok here goes a quick run down of how to make a background:

first lay your tank flat so the side you want to foam is flat and gravity wont mess with you Wink

Then place any wood or cork bark you want to have on the back ground (it's a nice way to add a good 3D affect)

The way you want to build it with a water fall/pump I would suggest placeing plastic pipe in the corner use the ridged stuff as this wont cave under the pressure. Then take your can of expanding foam give it a bloody good shake for like 5 minutes.

Then spray starting in a corner going around your wood/pipes etc do one layer at a time because you really cant tell how much it will expand and you dont want to fill the tank with foam lol.

Give it a mist with water as this helps form a skin over the foam and makes everything less sticky.

Wait a good 24 hours for the foam to cure.. best way to test if the foam has cured fully is to take a satay stick and push it into the foam if it comes out clean then the foam is cured.

Now comes the fun!

Take some peat moss (available at most garden centers) mix this in eqaul amount to PVA concrete primer/binder available at wickes.. I would suggest using the water proof variety as your gonna have water flowing over it.

Mix it until its a thick paste add a little water if needed.

Take this paste and push it into the foam about 1/2-1" thick. again start in a corner and work your way around.

Leave the entire thing on its back for 8-12 hours then carefully stand it up to its correct position and allow to dry for a week (it's over kill but shoot its better to take your time)

Vola! One background that plants can grow on hehe

For pic's of the process have a look at my dart frog terrarium thread some where in vivariums.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, sounds like your also the man to speak to about buying plants!
Tried searching for your post, but I keep getting an error message from the search engine.

This is what confused me a bit, on a post somewhere, someone (how helpful was that!!), said that if the PVA mix has water running over it constantly it will peal?!

Chris
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends how fast/ forceful the water is...... but a way around that is to put a piece of bog/mopani/drift wood just below the point of exit for the water pipe, it looks kinda nice also.

here's a link to the thread http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

the tanks have come a little further since I last posted but i need to reload my caera software to get the pics on here Smile

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. was actually looking at the post earlier.
A lot of work doing all those tanks!

Right am gunna play with PVA concrete primer and hope the results are something I'll be proud enough to show on here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: