Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf Insect ID?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Leaf Insect ID? Reply with quote

Hello invertebrate lovers Smile

I have acquired a group of 6 leaf insects, but I was wondering whether anybody can help ID the exact species?

They are currently only 1.5cm in length, so I cannot ID them by adult size! My book which has a section on leaf insects only gives adult photos, and my search for nymph photo ID online has been fruitless.

So here we go - bear in mind that they are only 1.5 - 2cm long at the moment!

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks! Very Happy
keiron
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can tell you they're not celebicum, giganteum, or bioculatum. they look more like siccifolium nymphs but there is another 'species' that i used to keep that was simply referred to as phyllium sp. "phillipines" and having kept both i can assure you they look almost identical to siccifolium as nymphs, it is hard to tell the two apart unless you have accurate information on the adults.

a good site is www.phyllium.de its not in English but has some good pics to aid in identification, hope this helps Very Happy
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks keiron! Very Happy

Unfortunately I never got to see the adults, i've got no ideas there.

Siccifolium looks the right sort of shape, though quite a lot greener than the ones I have. Could this be a transition between a brown and green form? The site shows a brown nymph - might this be the first instar?
keiron
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes when siccifolium, and indeed the "phillipines" species i mentioned hatch out they are extremely slender and brown with white markings. these are more pronounced in siccifolium but they both have the same body shape, this is why they are so hard to tell apart! i would wait and see what they grow into, i noticed the "phillipines" have a more elongated body that ends in more of a point than true siccifolium.

either way enjoy them, great insects to keep! Very Happy
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four Siccifolium at around the same instar age as yours, however they look more broader than the examples you have posted. So perhaps they are of the Phillipines species unstead.

Wish I were an invert!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: