Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOT RECCOMENDED: Pontarddulais pet centre, (South Wales)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: NOT RECCOMENDED: Pontarddulais pet centre, (South Wales) Reply with quote

This place is situated at a Garden centre. Maidenhead aquatics is also at the same garden centre. I have no complaints about Maidenhead aquatics .
The reptile section in the pet shop however leaves a lot to be desired. Incredibly overpriced, I saw several animals being displayed in unsuitable conditions, young chameleons crammed into overpopulated vivs with sparse cover, countless tortoise species, again overcrowded and on a far from ideal diet.

What annoyed me most however were the poison arrow frogs. Dendrobates leucomelas, the bumblebee dart frog.
Seriously underweight, suffering too brightly lit and dry conditions, the frogs were visibly stressed as the food items being offered were totally unsuitable and far too big. Lastly, the animals were RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. At almost £80 each, they are four times the amount that I paid for healthy frogs of the same age and species.

Dendrobates azureus, blue dart frog. Everything that I said above applies here also. The frogs were underweight, and unable to avoid the bright light. My azureus are bold, active and full of attitude, as well as being well rounded. The animals here were scrunched up in a corner. These are diurnal frogs and should be boldly strutting around searching for food of a suitable size. The price being asked for these frogs (whose condition dictated to me that they should not be for sale) was the most ridiculous that I have ever seen. At over £100 each, more than double the absolute top asking price in the real world.

Dendrobates tinctorius "Patricia" were also available and in the same unsuitable climate with unsuitable diet and at an extortionate asking price that indicates utter greed and a complete ignorance of the animal`s needs.

It just so happens that I keep all three species mentioned above. The last two mentioned in particular are increasingly threatened in the wild state. As such, anybody privilaged enough to be in the position to own some should do their utmost to ensure the animals are healthy and conduct a breeding programme.

This place P****d me off big time. Avoid like the plague.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was going to visit there last week. I wont bother to make the effort now though, thanks for the heads up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: