Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mixing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolky
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: mixing Reply with quote

hi all i got two geckos but i feel like settin up a new viv soon and i was round a friends and hes got a chameleon and he said that you can mix these with water dragons? Confused
now i aint no expert but is this true cos he said that they geton like 2 peas ina pod?
all help would be very much appreciated
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a word no.

You gotta remember there are 100's of types of geckos and 100's of types of chameleons, so just saying 'gecko' or 'chameleon' doesn't really help anyone, especially the lizards your trying to talk about.

Mixing species of certain types IS possible, but you must really learn the basics first.

Putting a gecko in with a chameleon would generally result in NO gecko and FAT chameleon. Putting a Chameleon in with waterdragons (AGAIN more than one species, so which type?) would generally result in one species slowly dying from stress (this could be over many months! so you may think they are ok when they are not.

If you want something different to put in with your geckos (and I'm guessing they are leopard geckos) try putting females in that are different colour morphs.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
bolky
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not say that i was gonna put the gecks in with the cham cos i know that the gecks r nocturnal so thats y i said i was gonna try a cham with a water dragon to c if the theory of my friend was true thats all!!!!
i think the gecks would hate a new member to there home any way its theres and always will be theres!!!!
so heres my question again!!!!
will a water dragon mix well with a chameleon?
yes no
if this is sounding like its being put ina rude or offensive way then i am sorry cos that aint the way that i want to put it ok
sorry hope this clears it all up
Embarassed
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Bolky,

The answer is still no. The water dragons (all species) are far too active and will stress out the chameleon (which type of the 100 or so species was you thinking?).

Chameleons come from different parts of the world to water dragons so you would not be able to recreate the correct environment for BOTH in the same cage.

Please remember what I said about saying 'chameleon' or 'water dragon', try and find out EXACTLY what species you are looking to get, nobody on here can give you the best answers if you don't know what animals you are talking about.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
bolky
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the email i got from a bloke who was selling the cage i was considering of buyin and he said this about mixing
"perfect choice to put in these vivs,i would mix australian water dragons , chameleons ,basiliks ,bearded dragons,these would all mix well and are all day active and of the same size.the general rule to mixing is to look at the reptiles you are considering mixing,and ask your self are these sociable lizards ,the answer to this is yes (apart from chameleons )but should still make good companions for water dragons.
as for the flexariums these are an excellent viv as during the summer you can put them out side and let your reptile enjoy the natural sunlight the from are made up of plastic rods that push into each other and the netting is placed around it and a plastic tray placed in the bottom to stop substrate from coming through the netting.they are alot sturdier than you think especially when you place substrate on the bottom."
so wat could you mix with vieled chameleons?
bolky
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i may just stick with water dragons and not mix too much hassle and i dont want to stress a cham out and me out too so thanx for all the help scott i really appreciate it all
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes sounds like the guy you were buying from doesnt know much about reptiles at all..
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard reports of some of the uroplatus being kept in with panther chams..

both species (or members of them) living on Nosy be..

not sure where this guy gets his info from but i would hesitate to keep australian water dragons and australian bearded dragons in the same viv... although they come from the same country, there is a somewhat large difference in what each needs to stay healthy..

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: