Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible problems transporting animals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Possible problems transporting animals Reply with quote

I was reading one of the bird forums and came across this article.

Do you think this will have any affect on reptiles bought back from the big european shows ?

How can it be proved ' where their income source does not exceed the expenses of the hobby' ?
People who have big collections could have problems with this, likewise shops who go to places like Hamm or Houten.

===========================================

Implementation of EU Regulation (Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005 on the protection of Animals During Transport

As you may already be aware, the new EU Regulation on the welfare of animals during transport applies from 5 January 2007.

From that date, anyone transporting any vertebrate animals (including fish) over 65 kilometres (approx. 40 miles) in connection with an economic activity, will be required to:

ï be authorised by the competent authority;

ï have received training or entrust the handling of the animals to personnel who have received training;

ï demonstrate that they have appropriate staff and equipment to transport animals in a proper way and have no record of serious infringements of animal welfare legislation in the preceding 3 years.

The authorisation will be valid for 5 years and free of charge if applied for this financial year.

For long journeys (those in excess of 8 hours) road vehicles used for transporting animals must also be inspected and approved by the competent authority of a Member State or a body designated by a Member State.

Containers used for transport on long journeys also require inspection but only those used to transport horses and livestock.

Defra has considered the position of vehicles used to carry containers transporting animals which are either free standing or permanently or temporarily secured to a vehicle and forming the sole means of containing the animals. Defra is of the view that these do not require inspection and approval as it is the container the animal is transported in rather than the vehicle, which is critical to the welfare of the animal.

It has been agreed that hobby breeders will be excluded from the scope of the Regulation, so will not require a transport authorisation or vehicle inspection and approval when transporting their animals.

Many people who keep animals as a hobby exhibit animals and occasionally breed them. They may sell or exchange surplus animals, but the income source does not exceed the expenses of the hobby. We have therefore concluded that these hobby breeders are excluded from scope where their income source does not exceed the expenses of the hobby.
I must stress that this is only our view on the Regulation and not a definitive interpretation, as that would be a matter for the courts.
There are no exclusions or exemptions from the general obligation to transport any animals in ways which do not cause, or are unlikely to cause injury or unnecessary suffering.
More detailed guidance on how the Regulation will be enforced and information on obtaining a transporters authorisation will be available on the Defra website at the following link, in due course:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/farmed/transport.htm

If you require any further information, or have any concerns, please do not hesitate to call myself on the number below or Chris Elmer on 020 7904 6578 and we will do our best to provide you with the information you require.

Yours sincerely,

HELEN GUENIGAULT
ANIMAL WELFARE DIVISION

Direct Line 020 7904 6581
Fax 020 7904 6961
Email helen.guenigault@defra.gsi.gov.uk

[/quote]
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have therefore concluded that these hobby breeders are excluded from scope where their income source does not exceed the expenses of the hobby

that should cover 99% of people Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely: I wish my income exceeded my spending lol...

Mark.
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:

So I'm guessing that you are the odd 1% cos you have definately got more animals than most shops Shocked Shocked
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
Scott W wrote:

So I'm guessing that you are the odd 1% cos you have definately got more animals than most shops Shocked Shocked

Laughing that may well be the case, but unlike most shops I'm not a business nor does my reptile income exceed my reptile spending Laughing

To be honest it doesn't sound like to much hassle even if you did get a vehicle registered under the scheme. Again it's more legislation that is geared up to protecting the welfare of the larger mammals (horses and cattle etc) that has had reptiles lumped in with it, when you read the requirements you realise just how pointless they are for reptiles (such as adequate ramp facility to allow the animal to safely enter and exit the vehicle).

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget if you was a business travelling to the European shows would be an expense, and its the same for a hobby breeder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: