Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my new royal!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samfro
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Got my new royal!!!!! Reply with quote

I got my new royal today from a great company in Bristol, and they have given me a contico box to keep her in until she is big enough to live in her viv. I forgot though how long I should keep her in the box though, when will i know when to tranfer her, or will i 'just know' when she is big enough? She is a happy little girl with great unusual markings as we called her Snuk. When I was little, I couldnt pronounce snake, so i always wanted a snuk, so there you are, I finally got Snuk!

Back to the matter at hand though (sorry), how long should I leave her there, or if I get enough small hides in the viv, will she be happy in there?
CokaCola
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly how old/how big is the royal?
Secondly what size Contico have they given you? (small/medium/large)

Generally you can tell when they are ready to be moved up, they will of course look quite big for the current tub, they will be feeding very well and might also start show signs that they want more space, like circling the perimeter.

Royals in particular are not snakes for large areas, you will find they like the security of the smaller container and so you shouldnt rush grauduating her up.

Good luck with your royal.

Tariq.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CokaCola wrote:
Generally you can tell when they are ready to be moved up, they will of course look quite big for the current tub, they will be feeding very well and might also start show signs that they want more space, like circling the perimeter.

Not so sure on that. If you were right then you would never stop moving them up. Snakes constantly surf there viv, whether it is too small, too big or just right.

CokaCola wrote:
Royals in particular are not snakes for large areas, you will find they like the security of the smaller container and so you shouldnt rush grauduating her up.

I'm not so sure on this either. All snakes are happy in large spaces, it affords them a greater area to find a hide they are happy with. Hides are the answer with this species IMO not area.

The key is too find what works best for YOUR snake. Both my post and Tariq's show you 2 different ways to look at how to do this. Both methods can work but one will work best for you and your snake. Snakes are tougher than most people give them credit for, have a play (within safe limits) with different methods and one will make you both happy.

This hobby is all about the many different opinions and methods on how to do things, very few are actually the wrong way to do things. It is up to you to chose the one your snake feels happiest with (you'll know by activity levels and feeding consistency)

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
CokaCola
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep perhaps i should change that to constantly circling, the point was that generally you will be able to use common sense to work out that your snake would be happier in larger quarters. I might add for the second point that your argument is like the debate over vivs and racks. I certainly do not agree that all snakes are happy in large spaces, even if hatchlings were all i had to argue. (sorry if thats abit direct, but i dont think that what i have said is "not right" merely my own opinion).

I agree the hobby is full of alternative ways of performing various aspects of husbandry, and each keeper with experience will learn what they favour.

Tariq.

Dan wrote:
CokaCola wrote:

Not so sure on that. If you were right then you would never stop moving them up. Snakes constantly surf there viv, whether it is too small, too big or just right.

CokaCola wrote:

I'm not so sure on this either. All snakes are happy in large spaces, it affords them a greater area to find a hide they are happy with. Hides are the answer with this species IMO not area.

The key is too find what works best for YOUR snake. Both my post and Tariq's show you 2 different ways to look at how to do this. Both methods can work but one will work best for you and your snake. Snakes are tougher than most people give them credit for, have a play (within safe limits) with different methods and one will make you both happy.

This hobby is all about the many different opinions and methods on how to do things, very few are actually the wrong way to do things. It is up to you to chose the one your snake feels happiest with (you'll know by activity levels and feeding consistency)
samfro
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snuk is a hatchling, about a foot long. Been a stressful day for her with all the moving about, but will keep a beady eye on her for any changes. Cant pup her straight into the viv at the moment anyway, cant fit the heater cage on yet (no screwdriver).
samfro
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna take a photo this morning when we fitted the cage to the heater, so we got her out of the contico to check on her after her big day yesterday, and she had a cob on. Just like her mum, she doent like mornings and hissed at my other half! So we put in a couple of loo rolls and hasnt come out since. Will post photos in a few days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: