Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aluminium frame vivariums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: aluminium frame vivariums Reply with quote

does any one have any experience in using or building vivariums using aluminium profiling, such as this http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/equipment/al-profiles.html#aluminium if so how do you find they hold up compared to more traditional vivs and how hard are they too put together, im considering having a bash at putting a display together too house all my herps and inverts, really after any advice or experiences

cheers
Pollywog
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just racking, the glass vivs are made completely seperate and sit on the aluminium racking.
sales@pollywog.co.uk
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.zoomed.com/html/euro_cage.php

andrew thats what I thought but this actually looks like its built in too the frame, a similar concept is used in building green houses.I hope its possible, the reason i like the idea, is i could alter the materials in each individual viv giving me more control over humidity and air flow for each species ie i could use a screen back for chams ect

cheers
Pollywog
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware the Zoomed rack is only available as pre-built units and in my opinion is not very nice, I saw one at a recent trade show and it is put together by attaching plastic and glass panels direct to the aluminium, it is very cluttered looking and in my opinion looks very cheap.
The european style system you posted in your first link is designed to be used as a racking system with seperate glass vivariums or aquariums sat in it.
I have a similar rack that currently holds aquariums however I will soon be changing some of the top tanks to glass vivs.

It probably would be possible to build a system using the european style profiles and attaching boards direct to it but I can see problems with sealing them and therefore hygiene problems. Especially as the aluminium profiles can flex a bit which over time could cause the seals between the panels and the aluminium to go.
sales@pollywog.co.uk
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me andrew
baloo
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the germans have been building vivs out of aluminium profiles for years now
if this is the system they are using i can't say but the endresult is quite amazing.
i have seen them a few times on german sites
it helps if you can read german or you will not be able to make scence of the links that will take you there

EDIThere is a link http://www.tierfreunde-forum.info/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=9160&sid=5c57cadfe424152f585701fc365b3aa2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: