Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exo Terra Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Exo Terra Question Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a couple of 18"x18"x24" (45cmx45cmx60cm) Exo Terra Glass Terrariums for the Savu Island Pythons we have. I was wondering how people rate them (that have used them) and whether heat mat or ceramic would be better as a heat source and if so how people have gone about using the ceramics.

Thanks.

Colin.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

I have 6 or 7 exo terras, and in the right use I think there great. I would struggle to imagine how to install a ceramic inside without risks of burns or cracking the glass.

My setups with exo terras are mainly for small monitors and I use a power sun suspended over the top of the mesh lid (over in one corner). I have melted the plastic suppport struts on one already when the power sun got moved and pointed at the strut, I dread to think what a ceramic would do if it came close to the plastic.

Perhaps you could use a low wattage heat pad under the viv (there's a nice air gap under to allow for this) and a 60watt ceramic suspended above, that may work for you.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott,

I was thinking of the ceramic outside the viv, but the specs only say mesh top, but not what sort of mesh, so I wondered if it would stand up to a ceramic suspended above it not resting on it.

As these snakes seem adapted for climbing I was wondering on the merits of a higher rather than longer viv. hence the 45x45x60 rather than the 60x45x45 (wxdxh)
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the ceramic in a metal reflector this should made the ceramic bulb sit an inch away from the mesh, that should be enough to stop the mesh from getting to a temp that would burn if the snake touched it. The mesh won't melt with the ceramic but just make sure the plastic isn't under the reflector.

As for the viv size...can't really help on that as I've never kept Savu's.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Scott,

The ceramics I use for the lizards are all in reflectors, so I would do the same, normally I also put a small 1" block of wood either side of the reflector to lift it that wee bit higher, probably loose efficiency, but gain piece of mind.
FatBoy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Col,

I used to have 3 for my carpets before that little ceiling cave in incident. Rolling Eyes They were excellent wee arborial vivs, but I did have to mess about with the ventilation at the top, to get the humidity right. I used mats without any troubles.

Ross
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here
http://www.eurorep.net/retail/index.php?cPath=85_335
These CNC manufactured stainless steel hoods in all 3 sizes are made to sit on all the Exoterra cages above the wire and allow either spot lamp heating in 3 sizes or ceramic heating in the 2 larger sizes together with the facility to use compact D3 lamps for UV.
I am using a whole load of them and they are great. Just plug and play as they say.
The big size isn't on the site yet, but will be early next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: