Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cant wait till the summer!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: cant wait till the summer!!! Reply with quote

as up the road from me is a great little woods where you can find grass snakes and little green lizards not sure on what they are but my elder sister was walking the dogs the other day and see one already so will be going up there soon when the weather finaly changes!!!! will try and get loads of pics
manda xx
Thomas Shanta
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only native green lizards we have are Sand Lizards,we have them down here in Cornwall.If you find them you should contact the FBH,so they can keep an eye on the area.
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh brilliant will do that if i can find any they are normaly laid on logs and rocks under the sun!!!
manda xx
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manda, where abouts roughly in the country are you? I only ask as Lacerta agilis, (sand lizard) is only found in a very limited range in this country.
The more commonly seen lizard we have is Lacerta vivipara, the common or viviparous lizard. These animals are more commonly found in various shades of brown, although I have found both melanistic (black) and green individuals. The green animals that I have found have always been males and funnily enough have always been from a coastal location.
Common lizards are found more or less the length and breadth of the country and reach about 50 - 70 mm.
Sand lizards are much more localised, their strong hold being the Dorset Heaths, as well as being found in Surrey and Hampshire heathland, as well as certain areas of Cornwall and perhaps Devon as Thomas pointed out. There is also an isolated colony in Lancashire living in the sand dunes of the coast. They are noticeably larger than the common lizard at 70 - 100 mm. Females tend to be various shades of brown/cream/beige, but in the breeding season the males flanks are a vivid green. Much greener than the greenest common lizard I have ever seen.
Glad you have seen some grass snakes, they are not as abundant in recent years. Try this link to I.D. the lizards. http://www.onewildworld.co.uk/reptiles/index.htm

Have fun Very Happy
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to tell that Lacerta vivipara have changed name to Zootoca vivipara

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...well im in portsmouth if that helps will have a lookie at the link a bit later thanks
manda xx
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormiemanda wrote:
erm...well im in portsmouth if that helps will have a lookie at the link a bit later thanks
manda xx

Well if that`s the case, you MAY just be lucky and they may be sand lizards. Either way , you`ll enjoy watching them. Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: