Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO BREED BLACK CRICKETS FOR MY SPIDER?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cricket
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO BREED BLACK CRICKETS FOR MY SPIDER? Reply with quote

i need help and i'm just started breeding black crickets but failed misherablly Shocked please can you tell me if you know thankyou Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked and my tarantula is deperate(poor thing).
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically just stick a couple of tubs of adult crickets into a large plastic container with a lid drill plenty of small holes for ventillation and put in some cardboard for hiding and some food for them and place so one half of the container is over a heat pad, for drinking i use sliced carrots.
Then get an empty cricket box and cut a small hole at one end about an inch square and fill this tub with dampened top soil to half an inch from the top (this stays moist longer than sand)The crickets will then lay there eggs in the soil, after a week remove the container and place into another larger plastic tub for wich the pinheads will be reared in, after a week or so the pinheads will start to hatch and now comes the tricky part (they dry out very easy)
Once they have all hatched remove the egg laying box and put in plenty of cardboard hides and greens and carrots as soon as this has dried out replace it, and they should all grow in no time.

Basically the crickets(adults and babies) need to be kept dry as humid conditions will soon wipe them out, the only thing to be kept humid is the egg laying box.This is the method i use and with a few plastic containers you can breed thousands of crickets per week.One more thing i do is as soon as the adults have had there week of laying eggs i then feed these adults to my lizards as they dont live much longer after laying and just replace them with fresh adults.
The hardest part of all this is keeping the pinheads from drying out in there first week but you will soon get the hang of things,just might take a couple of tries.
Let me know where you was going wrong before.
Jas
cricket
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: like you said at the end Reply with quote

i'm not sure if 20 crickets is a enough is this alright for breeding. Crying or Very sad
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy another tub then...
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: like you said at the end Reply with quote

cricket wrote:
i'm not sure if 20 crickets is a enough is this alright for breeding. Crying or Very sad

20 will be fine if you set them up right, I have a culture of crickets (10K plus) that started from just 3!
cricket
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have 5 females and 4 males and all the rest are young is this still alright? Crying or Very sad
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think each female will lay around 200 eggs before they die so it depends on how many crickets you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: