Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

false floor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: false floor Reply with quote

i was thinking if i put a heatmat inside the vivarium and make a cover for it out of i think its called hardborad the thin wood that you get on the rear of vivs would the heat get through it ok ?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although many are against it I have used heat mats inside vivs many times without incident.They were always connected to a stat though as they can get incredibly hot and if a large snake sits on one for too long they will burn very quickly..Personally I would use a ceramic bulb guarded on a stat or a spot bulb on a dimmer..Not really a fan of heat mats unless for racks in which case they can be placed outside under the tubs on a stat.
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just made my false floor how i was on about im just awaiting it to heat up and see if i can get the right temps i need will let you know how i get on Cool
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and just to add im also using a daytime basking lamp for the daytime hours and they put out little heat aswell so im going to try and make the desired daytime temp then see if i can make the night temp with just the mat Cool
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick update the stat has now turned the mat off so id say im getting the day time temp ok now im going to knock the stat down and lose the basking light and see if i can get the night temps ok
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark,if your Viv floor is wooden take some perforated hardboard and screw it down over the heat mat.

Be careful not to pierce the heat mat with the screws.The holes in the hardboard lets more heat penetrate than solid would,this means you heat more snake,less hardboard

You can turn your stats down and still achieve similar temperatures as you don't have solid hardboard insulating the heat from your snakes.

Works for me.
mark67123
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then it wouldn't be waterproof and difficult to clean - but you could cover it with a piece of lino/vinyl and seal around the edges with silicone.

I've recently fitted a false floor under solid hardboard and although the surface temp is warm enough the warm area is only about 7"x7" over an 11"x11" mat, so if anyones thinking of doing this I'd say use a mat a size larger than you would normally for the size of viv. Within reason of course - mat being no larger than 50% of the viv floor.
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started this my method as i stated and havent had any problems at all all temps are good Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: