Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Climate control....im a control freak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the viv! I think your main problem with a viv that size is going to be controlling the temp.. hence I can see your dillema. Remember though, beardies dont need 5 of height. All your going to be doing is setting the UV out of range, so be careful. Perhaps if this is your plan you could try a mercury vapour bulb, or even a couple of UV tubes at difference heights.
grimesy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never thought of that

well what would be an awsome size viv for two beardies but may (in the next few months) buy a few more (might buy 4 more n house 6 in a colony)

also the guy at my local petshop said its ok to house more than 1 male together is this true ( i cant understand it coz when i used to keep leopard geks males fight like mad)

i dont kno were to begin with this viv i think ill start a new thread asking ppl for the advice on building an awsome top noch viv...
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterf wrote:
Looking forward to seeing you make a dimming or a pulse proportional thermostat out of parts from the RS catalogue Dan!

Dimmers are easy (i would imagine they could be based on a variable resistor), no idea on the pulse prop though. Wink

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimesy wrote:
i never thought of that

well what would be an awsome size viv for two beardies but may (in the next few months) buy a few more (might buy 4 more n house 6 in a colony)

also the guy at my local petshop said its ok to house more than 1 male together is this true ( i cant understand it coz when i used to keep leopard geks males fight like mad)

i dont kno were to begin with this viv i think ill start a new thread asking ppl for the advice on building an awsome top noch viv...

Technically, no, you should never house 2 male beardies together, there would be a lot of aggresion.

However, if your viv is of that size, there is a possibility they will create there own 'areas' and may be alright together. There extremmly territorial. If there is fighting you would have to be prepered to sperate. my advice would be to get one male, and a few females. This may be your best bet.
grimesy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok im making progress, i have decided on building a viv with the dimensions 6ft X 2 n half ft X 5ft.
in it im going to house my two current beardies ( 1M and 1F) plus another 2 females (hopefully in some awsome colours two like hypo red and tangarine or white evan)

ok so the plan was to sit a 4ft uv (5.0) on to top (with reflector) and 2 spot lamps (should i go 100 watt or 60?) and a night lamp (red or ceramic, but BD tend to be heavy sleepers and i think a a night temp might knock there sleeping pattern out.)

A 35" X 11" 42 watt heat mat

so here's were i get confussed....

what dose the habistat "Sun/Moon twin switch" do?

will it sync with the habistat pulse prop day/night ?

what dose the habistat dimmer do? ... And will that sync with the rest of the above?

will the cool control and mini fans work with this lot? would i need 2 fans? one for extraction one to bring fresh air in, or do each fan have the ability to switch rotation?

if you can help me out that would be a great help thanks.

P.s. Once i have a good idea oof were im going with this project i'll design it and build it and start a new thread on it so ppl can give me there in put.

also i have the funds (£600.00p) availible know to start building just need a direction..
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You may be interested? I have made a unit that contains 8 thermostats,a light operated switch and a power supply.You can buy these parts from Maplin.

It is wired to function like this.

The power supply to the 1st 4 stats is run through the light operated switch.When it gets dark outside the switch senses this and changes the feed (power supply) from the 1st 4 stats to the 2ND 4 stats.When it gets light again outside the switch automatically turns the 2ND 4 stats off and the 1st 4 stats back on.This is all automatic and in time with our natural photo period.

This unit can control 4 heating zones,independently of each other during the day and night.

You can set 4 temperatures during the day:-
bask area (Or middle section)
hot end
cool end
ambient air (or water temp whatever you decide)

And if you set the night time temps lower you get a true night time drop.
You would of course require 4 separate heaters in the Viv.

You could use this unit to heat one large Viv or to heat 8 small Viv's with one heater in each having the same night and day temp.

Or you could use it to control 4 Viv's using two heaters in each having a day temp and night drop.

You really do need a good understanding of electricity and electronics to construct this unit as it does deal with mains voltage.

The possibility's are endless,by changing the position of two components on the circuit boards you can make the thermostats turn on at a high temp rather than a low temp.This would rut those cooling fans you mentioned earlier.

I did try to post a pic but the file size is too large,if anyone knows how to re-size a pic,or would post it on my behalf I will happily email it to them.

If after seeing the pic you or anyone else is interested in building the kit I will be pleased to help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: