Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Glass Tanks help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: DIY Glass Tanks help please Reply with quote

I was thinking that I may have a go at making some 15 gallon glass tanks. To house salamanders / newts etc.

After all IT CAN'T BE THAT HARD CAN IT? Famous last words! Very Happy

First I need to see whether it is cost effective to buy the glass from local glass cutters, to compare with the price of a shop bought tank.

Has anyone ever made a glass tank, or has anyone got any tips please?

Can it really be as simple as just glue it all together with aquarium sealant?

Thanks

scottishdragon
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I think it would be cheaper to purchase an all glass Viv unless you need to custom build it to fit. I was going to build my own beardie Viv and all though the wood was kinda cheap the safety glass was very expensive. But who knows you might find it cheaper where you are. As for making it it should be no probs aquarium sealent and away you go I think Laughing Laughing .
1 pictus gecko.
2 veiled chameleons.
1 blue tongue skink
1 red tail boa.
scottishdragon
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I think it would be cheaper to purchase an all glass Viv unless you need to custom build it to fit. I was going to build my own beardie Viv and all though the wood was kinda cheap the safety glass was very expensive. But who knows you might find it cheaper where you are. As for making it it should be no probs aquarium sealent and away you go I think Laughing Laughing .
1 pictus gecko.
2 veiled chameleons.
1 blue tongue skink
1 red tail boa.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottishdragon wrote:

15 gallon glass tanks are quite cheap, I have had alook around, the cost of the glass is more, so will just buy mass produced ones Laughing

mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Its hard to compete with the cheaper manufacturers if you have to pay retail prices for glass. You may be able to (by being a bit cheeky?) open a trade account with a glass or general building merchant? (I have one).

If not, make sure you check out peak aquatics in Buxton (mostly wholesale but they do have a retail outlet) or wharf aquatics in Pinxton, Nottingham. These are cheaper than many...

Cheers,
Mark.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark , nice one. The cheapest locally I have found for a 24x15x12 inch glass tank is 21.99 and 8.99 for lid.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some 24x15x12's today @ 21.99 and gonna make my own lids.
8.99 for a rigid basic lid is not on, the decent lids were 20 quid a pop no way am I paying that squeak squeak, so will make some Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: