Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding/Gene Pool Etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tafkadaz
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Breeding/Gene Pool Etc Reply with quote

Hi all just starting to get my collection of Leo's together, looking at all the lovely morphs available and wondering what is the general rule on breeding colonies.
Say i have a male and 4 females 2 years time i have lots of nice ready to breed stock would it be no good to breed with original parent's.
Should i release some stock and try to get in unrelated stock.
As they live in colonies I'm sure some "inbreeding" must take place in the wild but just looking for a few tried and tested theories.
Let me know what you think on this. What has worked for you. Thanks.

Obviously keeping records of who sired who is very important for this matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
spookje/ghost
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i would try just to even breed the animals, before you start thinking about inbreeding them, there are plenty of books/sites available, about morphbreeding, its not something, you decide in one day, to do.
there is a lot more to think about then just keeping records.
so for starters, just try to breed some animals first, then get some fresh blood for your babies, en then in a few years time, start thinking about the rest.
good luck
teratoscincus keyserlingii 3.4
teratoscincus scincus 1.2
teratoscincus prezwalski 2.1
teratoscincus roborowski 2.2.2,
4.4 geckonia chazalia
paroedura picta 4.10
tafkadaz
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i understand that, i did breed for 4 years 3 years ago when there were less morphs available in the UK.
I was just wondering what different keepers are doing nowadays, the reptile trade changes enormously in short spans of time, such as people 5 years ago feeding Iguanas exclusively on dog/cat food.
As for book's and web sites i agree a great source of info, but again most websites could be that 1 persons view, forums allow your message to reach a wide range of people and get a nice non biased bunch of methods you can then in my opinion adapt or use whatever you decide best suits your particular stock/setup and most of all budget.
Why breed something you cant afford to keep i won't be breeding to sell or make vast amounts of money.
I haven't decided on a whim, wow i wanna breed Leo's, so no worry about me been some kid on a fad who wants to play god and make lots of pretty babies.
I am at the moment getting what i consider facts and currently building my bank of Viv's to sit nicely with my Ig Viv http://myiguana.hopto.org but again i like collecting as much info BEFORE i decide to try something.
Just thought I'd put that straight before the flames start rolling in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol......no flames on this forum Wink , you are free to do, keep breed what ever and however you wish Wink

As for inbreeding and adding blood, well it all depends on what you are trying to acheive, say for instance you are trying to create something NEW, then inbreeding is the quickest way of doing this, you take the offspring that have the trait you wish to improve and breed them together. Now sometimes this can lead to weak stock but only time will prove that on those particular animals. If you are not looking to create or improve the morphs you are working on then it is always best to try NOT to inbreed your animals, after all there are plenty of morphs out there to add fresh blood.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
tafkadaz
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Scott, like i say I'm a digger of sorts it took me 1 year to decide how to plan my ig Viv and what to incorporate within it. And the weekend it took me to build (fast eh), i changed half of that to suit other factors that no matter how hard i had planned couldn't get a feel for until it was built.
Again with my Leo colony i am incorporating a very long bank of Viv's some for housing maybe 1-3 some for 5 Leo's I'm not out to create an awesome new trait (i think Ron Tremper normally beats most of us there).
I am however looking for the best health wise and longevity of my pets.
In the 3 years i haven't kept Leo's people are using more and more heat mats when i kept them and was part of a Gecko mailing list, no one bothered they all used bulbs on dimma stats, see how fast things alter and change.
Obviously i want my Viv's to be able to change with the times hence building myself and the fact i get a great sense of achievement from it.

Hope to have some pics as work is starting soon on this. As well as continuing with my GI enclosure.
spookje/ghost
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wasn't a attack Embarassed , but its not the first thing i would think about when i was starting again with leopards.
scott is right..... no flames...
i was just meaning, taking it one step at a time.
aspecialy inbreeding is a delicate top,( at least in holland), don't know about england Confused
i you have more questions, we will try to answer them.
greatings casper
teratoscincus keyserlingii 3.4
teratoscincus scincus 1.2
teratoscincus prezwalski 2.1
teratoscincus roborowski 2.2.2,
4.4 geckonia chazalia
paroedura picta 4.10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: