Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yemen chameleon housing upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: yemen chameleon housing upgrade Reply with quote

its about time that my two girls move out of their exo terra into something bigger, and tomorrow is my deadline for buying something.

now I have been onto terry thatcher and looked at various advice all over regarding housing them and was going to get a mesh viv.

truth be told I simply cannot maintain a decent temperature in my room for a mesh viv.

I am looking at getting a wooden 48 inch by 48 inch viv for them and having a mate cut out a few bits from the sides and the top and cover these with car repair mesh (simular to what exo terra have on roofing), as I think this will maintain heat much better.

Ideally I would like to leave the glass intact on the viv and take out wood from both sides low down and then on the roof so it has a decent flow through it.

From most peoples experience would this be adequate?

I will fix in an extra basking light so they have a spot each to use and the uv tube will be on top of the viv working through the mesh, rather than inside like it is now.

any pictures of where you have cut out wood and replaced it with mesh would be greatly appreciated.

then I have the fun of finding somewhere to hide the exo terra so the missus doesnt accuse me of taking over the house with wierd animals again!

cheers all
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry also struggling to find a 48inch high viv anywhere... anyone have an idea?
reptileparadise
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build one...
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont have the tools for the job... I am going to have to get a mate round to cut out the holes but I cant ask him to build it!
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainmerkin wrote:
I just dont have the tools for the job... I am going to have to get a mate round to cut out the holes but I cant ask him to build it!

I'm planning on building my own 48h x 36w x 24d, I've designed what I want and priced most of it up, I can get all the melamine board pre-cut for around 90 pounds (in the colour of my choice and there's hundreds to choose from), this includes a separate base unit with shelving and and doors, glass would be an extra 25 quid or so for 2 sheets of toughened 36" x 18", I then need mesh, glass runners and a few odd and sods. It's not as expensive as most people think. All you have to do it design what you want and go from there. Ok, it's not quite as simple as 1,2,3 but it's not rocket science either. I reckon I will have mine all done for around 180 pounds.
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its costing 180 quid Id rather pay for someone to build a proffesional one myself!
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to build my own. You get a custom made viv that fits into the room you want it to perfectly.

I've priced up all different types of timber and glass/perspex but I still think the cost isn't that cheap though.

When you look at the Terry Thatcher vivs a 24x24x36 is only about £115 and this size is plenty for a panther chameleon.

The Terry Thatcher viv looks so nice as well.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Terry thatcher vivs are great, we use them as the zoo for phasmids.

I have found a very cheap(ish) 48inch high x 38 long today and purchased it, should do the job nicely once some bits are altered.
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to look up 'phasmid'.
Now I know what they are.

How cheap was cheap(ish)? Was it new (are others available) or second hand?

Tripple 8 also have some good priced good sized vivs.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was new for £99 looks fairly bog standard but will fit in my room corner perfectly along with my gekos.

Should be enough room for them both to keep out of each others hair as well.. though most of the time they bundle up together at night so thats unlikely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: