Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brb newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lstratton
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: brb newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am new and have just posted on the chameleon section as I'm actively researching then and brb's as they are the 2 reptiles that I have wanted for a long long time.
My questions are:
I want to be getting a young snake, so that it gets used to me and I'd rather not get one from a petshop as you can never know how it arrived there and what they went through. So are their any brb breeders out there that are relatively close to London?
Also would I be able to put one in an exoterra glass viv with mesh top, size of 60x45x60cm? If so, how long would one be able to live in this happily before I upgrade to a full size viv of around 4x2x2ft (seems to be the recommended size?
Thankyou

Lucy
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucy,

A baby BRB is generally around 30 cm long, and will live happily in a shoebox sized contico or Really Useful box for the first few months of its life. The advantage in using the plastic box is that you can keep the humidity high, whereas a mesh topped Exo Terra will never maintain the correct humidity for a BRB. I kept mine in small conticos as babies, with paper towel as a substrate and a sphagnum moss humid hide at one end. As they grew, I moved them into bigger and bigger plastic boxes, and they're now in 4' Pennine vivs, which also retain a decent level of humidity.

There's a basic caresheet here:http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11993
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: