Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freebie feeder insects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Freebie feeder insects? Reply with quote

Hello chaps and chappettes...

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with non standard feeder insects for chams...especially things like slugs and snails, earthworms...can you use these things once in a while? Earthworms apparently are high in calcium compared to phosphorus....and they are quite wriggly too Laughing Laughing Laughing
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Joe, hows things? Try ozzy with spiders, the bigger the better. He loves e'm.
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe...Hi John...I have trouble finding big spiders...although I do get the odd moth. Maybe I should breed tarantulas for him Laughing Maybe not eh Very Happy

I read a lot about their natural dietconsisting of all manner of things...just wondered if cb chams get too used to crickets, mealworms, locusts and roaches Cool
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was considering earthworms the other day as I have millions under all my flower pots...

they good you say?
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know...supposedly high in calcium compared to phosphorus..which I believe is the way to go http://nagonline.net/Technical%20Papers/NAGFS00397Insects-JONIFEB24,2002MODIFIED.pdf
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine like woodlice and butterflies and moths Very Happy
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodlice eh... certainly with insects very few seem to want to eat woodlice, I have avoided trying them with my chams because of this as I had assumed they may have been secreting something unpleasant.

I have had both my yemens out in the garden all last week and weekend in a potted tree, they have taken a few flies and hover flies... but also they have tried to get at a few wasps as well which I have stopped them going for.

Any idea on wasps and how the sting would affect a chameleon? I am keeping safe and not letting them eat wasps currently but certaily they want a go at them, my mantis always do as well... but they are great at avoiding the sting.

Butterflies and bees I'd rather avoid them eating as there are not enough of these round where I am as is.

Will give them some woodlice at the weekend and see how they get on with them for starters and maybe try them on a worm or two.
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I'm going to go bug hunting...big woodlice would be good...high in calcium
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: