Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emerald tree boa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodage
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cooking" RI's out of snakes is a big NO NO in my opinion. Personally I'd keep the amakacin going in until the end of the course (1 month) and not up the temps. Emeralds really do prefer lower temps. Higher and you get regurgs and the snake sitting on the bottom of the cage stressing out. If its sitting on the bottom of the cage as in the photo I'd say its too hot.
snd reptiles
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodage wrote:
"Cooking" RI's out of snakes is a big NO NO in my opinion. Personally I'd keep the amakacin going in until the end of the course (1 month) and not up the temps. Emeralds really do prefer lower temps. Higher and you get regurgs and the snake sitting on the bottom of the cage stressing out. If its sitting on the bottom of the cage as in the photo I'd say its too hot.
i had no idea i was cooking him i have just kept the temps how the vet said his hot spot is now 80 under the heat lamp at the back of his viv and 78 at the front , that was his first trip to the floor and where he is there is a heat mat there for the humidaty , hes in my bedroom so dont get dissturbed unless its changing his water other than that hes left alone , i am a newbee to EBT's and was expecting a green tree python not a EBT with RI i didnt think he would live i must have done some thing right since i fed him he aint moved his last meal was 8 weeks ago
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you swabbed his mouth to find out what type of infection your snake has.

If your emerald is a true captive bred animal then 80 is way to cold. You should have a basking spot of around 86, but with an RI this should be bumped up to 88.

Its all to common when people say emeralds should be kept on the cool side. If its a W/C animal that has just been imported then yes, dont keep them above 82 or they will puke.

But I have never known a captive bred emerald to regurg due to high temps. I have never known a captive bred Emerald to regurg full stop.

All the hype surrounding regurg in Emeralds is caused by the W/C animals who just dont adjust to a captive environment.
snd reptiles
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeWarren wrote:
Have you swabbed his mouth to find out what type of infection your snake has.

If your emerald is a true captive bred animal then 80 is way to cold. You should have a basking spot of around 86, but with an RI this should be bumped up to 88.

Its all to common when people say emeralds should be kept on the cool side. If its a W/C animal that has just been imported then yes, dont keep them above 82 or they will puke.

But I have never known a captive bred emerald to regurg due to high temps. I have never known a captive bred Emerald to regurg full stop.

All the hype surrounding regurg in Emeralds is caused by the W/C animals who just dont adjust to a captive environment.
thankyou i will slowly take the hot spot back up to 86 as far as i know hes CB he came from Hamm last year , the vet never took a swob so i dont know what strain he had , the last owner got him from hamm last year ,
his set up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: