Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Substrates for Beardies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devon_Paul
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Substrates for Beardies Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am looking for a little advice. I currently use Calci-sand as a substrate for my 3 Beardies and had no health concerns whatsoever to date. However, and this may seem a little vein, but it is always sooo dusty. My dragons are usually covered in a fine powder which covers up their lovely colours and markings. Whenever I take them out, I am also then covered in dust from their bodies.
So the question is, what natural looking substrate can I use, that is proven not to have any related health issues but also provide the advantage of not being too dusty, whilst still being easy to clean?
Thanks.
negri
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lino or padded tiles is easy enough to clean , or if you want it looking a bit more natural play sand or slate/tiles

Crested Geckos 1:7:4 + 8 Eggs
White Treefrogs 0:1:0
Green Anole 0:0:1
Fire Belly Toads 5:6:0
Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
And a Fish Called George...
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used Hemp (Ambiose) with great success. Keeps the viv clean and dry, is digestible, although they rarely pick any up. Looks good too. Otherwise play sand (allow to dry out) is fine. The calci sand can actually encourage them to eat it... Some people use wood chips. At the end of the day, people will vary in what they use and as long as it doesnt retain moisure (avoid bark) and is easy and cheap to clean/replace and is non harmful to them then its personal preference. I always keep babies on plain paper/old newspaper until 5-6 months old.

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used and tried a few different substrates, but i must admit Playsand is the best so far, looks good, its there for digging if they want. I wouldnt use anything else now ... But at the end of the day its down to personal choice. Very Happy
Devon_Paul
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, many thanks for all of your replies. It seems like play-sand is a popular choice and is very similar to calci-sand in look etc. Is this not as dusty either?
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not dusty at all, just make sure u dry it before u put it in and make sure its non silica, i get mine from mothercare, but Argos do it too ...
Jaffa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped from the calci sand earlier this year to the repitle sand stuff, it looks far better without the dust
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use that black exo terra desert sand, and have no problems with it at all, cept for a deep substrate prepare 2buy a few bags lol,
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiles or lino like negri says. easy to keep clean too. and is good for the claws.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got siliconed kitchen floor tiles in my vivs, and I usually use porridge oats as substrate on top of that. They work like cat litter, keep the smell to almost zero after they have done what they do best, are cheap as chips as 2 bags of the really cheap Tescos or Asdas own brand do a 4 foot viv nicely and there is no risk of impaction.

Just my personal preference as I won't have sand anywhere near my beardies or geckos just to be on the safe side. In the wild what they actually live on is more like compacted granite anyway, they are not actually a desert species per say Very Happy

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: