Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compact Bulb Vs Tube Bulbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Compact Bulb Vs Tube Bulbs Reply with quote

Could anyone let me know what the advantages/disadvantages of using these bulbs are as i am looking at the two hoods for the exoterra.

One hood has room for two tubes and two sunglowl bulbs and the other has room for 3 compact uv bulbs or the sunglow bulbs.

The tube one is about £50-£55 and the compact one is £25 so just really need to know if although cheaper i would be worse off

also the sunglow bulbs do they put off much heat or is it only a slight diff (they are described as affecting ambient air temp not as hot enough for a basker)
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the compacts throw out a more intense light and it's well compacted into a spiral verses the length of a tube.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MJ Thanks for replying

Just to clarify the more "intense" light do you just mean brighter therfore easier to see the occupants or is it a more intense uv?

so two advantages for the compacts?
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a compact single bulb 10.0 in my small exo terra... I have only just started planting onto it now so not sure how well it competes.. but it does give a decent amount of light
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both really but more the brightness.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys i am quite happy that they will be sufficient then just the other query now about heating bulbs that fit in these

Quote:
also the sunglow bulbs do they put off much heat or is it only a slight air temp difference (they are described as affecting ambient air temp not as being hot enough for a basking spot)

If anyone can tell me something along the lines of temp without it being on and temp with it on fairly close to the bulb so i can get an idea of by how many degree's i can affect the temp.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone mention that there was a problem with the compact bulbs that wasn't found with the tubes ? Something to do with the amount of UV emitted and the space between the bulbs themselves and the reptiles in the viv.

Will go off and see if I can find the thread.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it : http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

Looks like it is mainly the desert type i.e. the 10.0, causing eye problems.
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that will have to try and have a good read there is a lot of it Smile

Quote:
A problem with some of the new high UVB output
fluorescent compact lamps and tubes

So is this including the tubes as i dont see a specific mention of the tubes and in your first thread you mention its the compacts but i am just curious with this having the tubes in the title.

I am asking due to >>>this thread http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18406

Just popped into my mind when i read that "Typical symptoms included a refusal of the animals to open the eyes, lethargy and inappetance; many also stopped basking."

as they are lethargic, lacking appetite and have there eyes closed a lot and i have a exo terra 10% UV tube so one of the stronger tubes (which everyhting advises to use but it cant hurt to mention it)

Back on Topic

Anyway to be more specific one of my possible species for my exo terra is a crested gecko. I know these dont specifically need UV exposure but as i wanted to keep live plants in there i would need some but for the purposes of keeping plants healthy are the 2% sufficient or would i need 5% ?

I would certainly not need a high one i dont think. Although the other choice is perhaps a couple of bibrons geckos which i beleive are needing UV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: