Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bosc monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kie73
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: bosc monitor Reply with quote

hi
i am thinking of getting a bosc monitor
i have been told there hard to tame and not very friendly ,is this true???
i have looked around and most seem to say there not good pets and can be dangerous but if there looked after properly a cant see the problem
what does everyone think
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do want a Bosc, remember that they grow to about 4ft and will need a viv 6ft by 2ft by 2ft.
If you bought a small one, no bigger than 30cm, then you will stand a good chance of taming it, but you can expect a lot of hissing and threats with it's mouth open. If you persist and continue to hand feed and let it know you are not trying to hurt it, it will eventually become quite tame and make a good pet.

They need a hot basking temp, of 100f and a background temp of 86f.

Just remember how big they get!
kie73
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: cheerz m8 Reply with quote

thanks for the info m8.. i have got my eye on one already.. its about 2 and a half foot long.. they described it as friendly but has off days.. they want £60 for him which i didnt think was a bad price. when i saw it they had the tank temp at 72 degrees. i told them to leave it at about 85 for a day or 2 and i will go back for another look. i once bought a 9 foor boa from a cold tank.. boy did he change when it was put to propper temphe was well nasty. had to get rid of him cos my son was only 2 at the time so i couldnt keep it like he was
cheers for the comeback
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like one to steer clear of, anyone who cools an animal down to sell it should be avoided.

Keep looking, your find the right one soon enough.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole mate...who knows what treatment it has had if they cant even get the temps right?..could be letting yourself in for a whole host of probs...72??????? thats room temp if that chances are its never had the proper care it needs...basking temps need to be 100 plus and cool end of around 75-80..think long and hard before you make a decision you will regret...I know of babies available if you are seriously interested
kie73
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just feel sorry for it too. maybe i could tame it up and give it a better life than the sh*t one its got now huh.. how much are the baby ones going for matey?? might be interested.. gonna look at some water dragons tomorrow too. just built up myself 12 vivs . spent all day today kitting them out and gettin temps stable. they look pretty cool. might put some pics up if anyone interested.. only cost me about £125 to do the lot. including the glass, not bad huh...
cheers for the info guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: