Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Uroplatus viv plans. 5x3x2ft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: My Uroplatus viv plans. 5x3x2ft Reply with quote

Ive just managed to acquire a beautiful pair of Uroplatus fimbriatus, which require a good 5 ft high vivarium with relatively high humidity, a small basking area with temps between 25 & 30C, with the background temps being in the low 20s. They're quite a large chunky gecko, that can grow up to 13 inches long.
My plan up to now is to have the dimensions of 5ft high, 30 inches wide ( to fit in an allocated space) and around 2 ft deep. This will be built for me and I will be buying my own ventilation pieces to fit from B&Q as I want large areas of ventilation to help with airflow. B&Q do some large rectangular ones that I have in mind.

I want to create a nice natural, exotic looking viv with plenty of plants and branches. With the help of Paul (MJ) Ive decided on a few plants that Im going to try to obtain including Cordiaem, Dieffenbachia amoena"tropic snow", Ludisia discolor, Guzmania and possibly Aechmea fasciata too. Im still considering some sort of moss and creeper/climber. I will be placing a layer of hydroleca ( or whatever its called) on the bottom, and covering it with a membrane then my chosen soil/substrate - can people say what soil/substrates have worked well for them? Also how do you go about feeding your plants - are plant foods safe to use in a reptile viv? I will be making a sloping landscape with it higher at the back of the viv.

I would like to cover the bottom and bottom few inches of all sides with tiles to help make the viv last longer as Im sure it would rot with plants. I will seal these to make it waterproof. Ive not decided on how to make the rest of the viv waterproof/resistant yet, so would appreciate any suggestions. Ive not found yacht varnish to be that effective in past cresty vivs, so will rule that out. I'm not keen on using aquarium background, although I use this in some of my boiga enclosures, I would prefer something more natural inside this viv. Plus there is the issue if what i might like to add to the back and sides - which I have not decided on yet. I may use something like bamboo screen, with a climber attached.

One of my concerns is with such a large "naturalistic" viv, how do you manage to keep it clean if you have plants all over the place. My smaller ones are easy as I can just wipe them over, but with this one I would love plants climbing the sides - is this unrealistic? Im happy to add springtails, tropical woodlice etc to help the soil, but not sure about what else to do.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time in doing this on such a large scale.

Who uses waterfalls in their vivs? Can anyone tell me if they have ben successful, what pros and cons you have found in their use?

Well thats enough for now, my brains running away with me, lol.
RonW
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Angi, lots of questions there Very Happy
I do have some suggestions. Because your viv is very high and relatively narrow you might want to consider the use of a fan to ensure enough airflow near the bottom of the cage.
You talk about sealing the cage etc. Why not use an all glass viv? No sealing, no rotting etc. Over here at least it not a big deal to get one custom made and its not that expensive either. Certainly not if you consider the additional cost of sealants, tiles or what ever else you have planned.
As for feeding plants. If I were to feed the plants I would use slow release fertilizers. You can bury those deep in the soil, making sure there is no contact with the animals. But, I don't know if you really need to feed or if all the Uro poo is enough fertilizer in itself. I'm sure MJ will have an opinion on that Smile
And that gets us to your question about cleaning. You can't REALLY clean a cage like that, unless you want to take it apart. You can clean the ffront, spray down the leaves, prune and remove the occasional bit here and there. Aside from that nature has to do the job. You can add some small insects, which will help. I would have some concerns about the possibility that those insects might damage any eggs you might get.
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron.

I would prefer not to use glass as I think my cats would forever be trying to catch the geckos, at least with only a glass front they can stay out of sight and have some security. I dont mind the tiling and sealing.

Good point regarding eggs and insects, but wouldnt eggs be in contact with insects in the wild anyway? The shop that had them have not seen them mate, nor have any eggs been produced, so I will just try my best to give them all they need and research more regarding their care, if they breed it would be a fantastic bonus and an indication that they are healthy.
I would not leave eggs in the viv anyway, a steady temp is advised for their eggs and low temps often result in them dying in the egg.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring tails and wood lice only eat decaying matter so the eggs would be completely safe in that respect.

Is the viv melamine? or some other wood product?

for ply/compressed stuff I would use a marine epoxy all over the vivarium http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/index.php
Anothr easier longer term solution as ron mentioned is a glass vivarium I under stand the cat issue but if you cover the sides and back with something like whats listed here you remove that issue and in a year or so will have a completely natural permanent display to be proud of.

for background material I would either go for xaxim, cork tiles or at a push the coco fiber panels (the last resort for me as I don't particularly like the plant growth on them)

If set up as a naturalistic ecosystem then really
you wont need to clean it as such just mist down gecko poo of the foliage Wink the micro fauna added and migrated will keep the viv going and the plants will also use any waste created.

feeding plants in this type of situation is always a difficult subject.

But geckos do not have the same skin as frogs so it should make it easier on the whole.

time release ferts might work if mixed in with the substrate and the geckos have little to no contact with the main substrate level.

I presume you will have a layer of leaf littler on top of the soil? if you are this problem should be solved.

Another option is using natural/organic fertilizer or an aquarium fertilizer which I have used on occasion in frog vivaria with great success Cool a weal solution of dynogrow would work also.

Substrate/planting mix

I use the following in a lot of vivariums tho I a switching over to a clay based type for most of my personal vivaria.

1 part peat moss
1 part cana cocco
1-2 parts fine/medium orchid bark

some times I mix in half a part of sand to the mix.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that Paul.

Maybe I could add glass inside the viv. I like the look of the wood effect too, to be honest.

The viv is going to be melamine. I will look into the epoxy link, ta.

Yep, there will be a good layer of leaf litter - do you just collect your own leaf litter?
RonW
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarozinia wrote:
Thanks Ron.
I would prefer not to use glass as I think my cats would forever be trying to catch the geckos, at least with only a glass front they can stay out of sight and have some security. I dont mind the tiling and sealing.

With what I had in mind you'd also just have a see through front. I'd put cork or something else on the back and sides, both for the animals to climb and for plants (climbers, epiphytes). At least with glass you don't have to worry about your cage leaking/rotting. Have a look at sites with instructions for Poison dart frog cages to get some ideas on making a background or covering the sides (or ask MJ Wink)
http://www.vivaria.nl/photogallery/photovivarium/photovivarium.html
There are also lots of ways to have some moving water. I'd be acreful with a real waterfall because of possible problems with getting the surrounding soil waterlogged. But you can make very nice features with water flowing over a piece of wood into a small pond.

zarozinia wrote:

Good point regarding eggs and insects, but wouldnt eggs be in contact with insects in the wild anyway? The shop that had them have not seen them I would not leave eggs in the viv anyway, a steady temp is advised for their eggs and low temps often result in them dying in the egg.

Yes, they would, but in a viv the concentration of small bugs can be very high with nothing preying on them. And the problem with Uro's is finding the eggs, especially in a heavily planted viv like you want.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angi have a read of you now what Wink it's exactly the same principles be it frogs or geckos or snakes Cool

I have a friend collect me magnolia leafs from her gardening clients hehe give them a bloody good wash and then use them and oak leafs. they last for ages which is cool. I also use faster rotting leafs (dead bromeliad leafs and the like) as a sub layer to the magnolia and oak leafs as it creates food for springtails Cool

I like water falls but they can be a royal PITA to do right.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and lining it with glass would work a treat just need to make sure its well stuck Cool

zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, the branches I have are magnolia from a neighbour - I will collect her leaves now too, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: