Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best substrate for Bosc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frog_chorus wrote:
I use newspaper for my Bosc it's cheap, easy to replace and the print is anti bacterial.

Surely this would be totally wrong as the bosc couldn't burrow and wouldn't hold any humidity whatsoever?????. . . .

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
WelshBoscOwner
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a mixture of Zoo Med Eco Earth (the block you soak in water) and Exo-Terra Natural Desert Sand. Soak the block as directed, break it up, grab handfulls and squeeze the water out, then stick it on a bed of kitchen roll (to absorb the excess moisture) and then mix in the dry sand.
It does dry out in the viv, but I find that when my Bosc goes in his water bowl, enough water comes out to keep a nice digging consistency.
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good 'WelshBoscOwner', so do u use 50% Eco earth / 50 % sand ???????

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WelshBoscOwner wrote:
I use a mixture of Zoo Med Eco Earth (the block you soak in water) and Exo-Terra Natural Desert Sand. Soak the block as directed, break it up, grab handfulls and squeeze the water out, then stick it on a bed of kitchen roll (to absorb the excess moisture) and then mix in the dry sand.
It does dry out in the viv, but I find that when my Bosc goes in his water bowl, enough water comes out to keep a nice digging consistency.
defo that would be a great substrate mix Very Happy
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing a larger vivarium or having to replace the substrate often. You can save a lot of £ by buying cana coco (search it on ebay) 50L sack costs about £15 delivered Wink and you have no need to soak and drain it Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
WelshBoscOwner
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iriechris wrote:
Sounds good 'WelshBoscOwner', so do u use 50% Eco earth / 50 % sand ???????

I tend to add the sand gradually until the mix is fairly dry, but still moist enough to keep an imprint of a fist pushed into it, or to form a ball if squeezed in the palm of my hand. I don't like a wet mix as, when it dries, it raises the humidity and I was told that Boscs prefer more arid conditions (and was also told that they can get respiratory problems if it is too humid), but that is just my preference.

Thanks for the advice about the cana coco MJ... actually find the blocks theraputic though, the tearing them apart, squeezing the water out, I just imagine it's the neck of whoever has p***ed me off that week!

I'm about to build a 2 level viv, 4ft(L) x 2.5ft(D) where the upper level will be the surface (going to use artificial grass for the substrate as the savanah is grassland), then the bottom level will be the 'burrow' and that will have the digging substrate. I know the viv size seems a little small (I was quoted that it should be about 30sq/ft for a bosc. The (4ft x 2.5ft)x2 will give 20sq/ft and I am going to put a shelf area (like a rocky outcrop) to add an extra 5sq/ft for him to go exploring on. The height of the bottom level will be 1.5ft, with the upper level at 2.5ft so the overall viv will be 4ft(L) x 4ft(H) x 2.5ft (D).

He's currently only just over a foot long, so this viv should do him for a while, the substrate will be 6" deep on the bottom level. When he outgrows the viv, the next one will be 1ft deep on the bottom level.

As I build the viv I will take pics and post them.
martin day
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use aspen its good for they like to get under it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: