Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crickets for feeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacqueline
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: crickets for feeding Reply with quote

i have tried brown banded crickets to see if my babies would eat these and my beardies cant get enough of them.They munch so many away and prefer these now to the black ones.Is there any nutritional difference between the brown banded crickets and the standard black crickets?i do gutload them all before feeding to my beardies but is there a differeance between the two?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if there are any scientific studies but I generally get the feeling the black crickets are a little fatter than the banded crickets, therefore contain a little more in the way of nutrients.

I have found that black crickets are the least preferred crickets with all my lizards (over 100). The best insect I have found is the locust, especially if you keep them well fed on greens prior to feeding to your lizards.
jacqueline
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: locusts Reply with quote

so will it be o.k if i give them the brown banded crickets scott if they prefer them to the black ones they wont touch.
If i continue to gut load them they will be o.k won't they?
Crickets in my local pet shop are 50 pence each. I have never tried them with these. The woman i bought my babies off of had black locusts in their tub when i had them.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can stay on the banded crickets if you prefer, if not try and buy 'silent brown' crickets, they are basically the same big fat size of blacks but only brown.

Locust are expensive, but they are worth it. Try buying them from an internet site instead.
jacqueline
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: locusts Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip scott. Do you get yours off of the internet?If so what site?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.......no, I use far too many to be able to buy them. I currently breed my own (use 2000 a week!)
jacqueline
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: dinner Reply with quote

wow Shocked thats an awfull lot a week.
My two beardies are eating a good hundred crickets a day.Is that worth breeding them?i have started to order off of live foods.co.uk
The petshop is cheaper then they are but they do have a better quality.Unlike the petshop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: