Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Addition - Lurcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: New Addition - Lurcher Reply with quote

Would like to introduce Smudge. Very Happy

10 week old rough coat Lurcher.

Got him on Saturday, training is going quite well and today I am asserting myself as pack leader lol Laughing

He's all bandy legs and huge feet atm, quite clumsy too but settling really well.
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks to be part deer-hound, mabe deer-hound cross greyhound with a tiny bit of collie ? TOTALLY gorgeous. Makes me sad 'cos my last dog was a full deer-hound called Moriarty, and the one before that was like your lad. You will have lots of fun, wonderful dogs lurchers. Sure that you know, but do not encourage him to run too much until he is 10 - 12 months old ( although to be honest you will not be able to stop him Laughing ) Feeding 'up', bowl up on a chair etc., also helps them to not get bad tummies.

Sorry if you knew this, it is just that actually I WANT HIM Exclamation Wink
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo - you are spot on greyhound x deerhound x collie Very Happy

Please, any advice is always welcome, I feel sometimes I'm reading so much and my head swims. But no, was not told about feeding 'up' but makes sense and will change that!!

Hmm I agree about the running, he already thunders through the house.

We're really pleased with him, and look forward to training in the field.

p.s there is 2 siblings left Wink Laughing
Freyja
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurchers are wonderful dogs. I've had the pleasure of knowing 6 of them. All completely different in shape , size, fur type and temperament, but all absolutely gorgeous, friendly and obedient. I'm jealous! Laughing Laughing

1.0.0 Anery Corn. 1.0.0 Amel Corn. 1.0.0 striped Snow Corn. 1.1.0 Royal Pythons. 0.4.0 loony cats. 1.0.0 Husband.
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy one other bit of advice that I was given was to always have plenty of petrol in your vehicle, yes I mean it Exclamation That is because the shape of sight hounds i.e. greyhounds, lurchers etc., means that they are susseptable to getting 'bloat'. That is another reason for feeding 'up'.

DON'T panic, I only ever had one case of a lurcher with bloat and that was when a puppy got to the bread and ate a large loaf of bread in one go.... Happily the lil' begger only started to bloat and then threw up Rolling Eyes Bloat can kill a dog very quickly but is also very obvious to see, so if ever seen rush the dog to the Vets, hence the need for always having petrol. Wink

Bloat causes the gut to swell, and the first sign is obvious distress and turning around nosing at the side of the tum. Just do not take him for a run too soon after feeding, and please do not worry. As said I have only seen the beginning of bloat ONCE.

The reason for not encouraging him to run too much until he is older is that the limbs are still growing and so a bit soft. Too much excercise can tend to cause problems, but hey... try telling that to the dog Laughing Rolling Eyes

Have lots and lots of fun, they are wonderful dogs, and the cross that you have is the VERY best cross for a large lurcher.
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw i love these dogs!!! he is gorgeous.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real beauty! Looks like he's settled into family life well.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely dog! Very Happy

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has settled in surprisingly well really, were really chuffed with his progress already.

Thankyou for the lovely comments, my husband has wanted one for such a long time. He knows more about these dogs than I do, I'm playing catch up Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: