Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help heating my leo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilos1177
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Help heating my leo. Reply with quote

I have a 3ft wooden vivarium with glass front. I intend heating the viv with a heat mat and also a 60w red bulb. As the area where the leo will be living gets quite cold at night I was intending to leave both heat sources on permanently. I will do this for a week before moving anything into it to monitor the temperature (nice school project). Can anyone tell me if this sounds about right?

Much obliged

Neil
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, you can leave on for 24 hours but you will need a thermostat on the bulb just in case it get too hot. I would use a dimming stat, http://www.eurorep.net/retail/product_info.php?products_id=1399.

Also, make sure your heat mat doesn't cover any more than a third of the floor area and depending on the substrate and ambient rooms temps, you may need that on a mat stat http://www.eurorep.net/retail/product_info.php?products_id=1401

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
neilos1177
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard lots of people recommend using a stat. Can you tell me exactly how they work? Is it a case of a sensor in the viv that will regulate the temperature? If the temperature of the bulb were to get to hot would that then mean that the stat would turn off the bulb? Got decent understanding of electronics, just can't think how it regulates temp without turning off the lamp.

Thanks for answering questions

Neil
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you will need a stat for both.
On/off for mat,
pulse/dimming for bulb.

You set it to a temperature, and it will regulate it.
on/off will turn the mat on and off,
(this will shorten the bulb's life however) so you use dimming/pulse for the bulb. They adjust the amount of power getting to the bulb, depending on the temperature.

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 basic types of stats
Dimming Stat, this reduces the amount of power, so on a spot bulb it will just go dimmer light a dimming light switch would do.
Pulse Stat, this sends a series of pulses to regulate the temps
On/Off, this simply turns off the heater when the temp is reached then back on when it drops.

Dimming stats can work on almost all heaters, Spot bulbs, heat mats and ceramics.
Pulse are best for heat mats but CAN'T be used for bulbs
On/Off can be used for heat mats, ceramics and bulbs (although isn't nice to have the light coming on and off 24hours a day).

hope that made sense Confused

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
neilos1177
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody marvelous! It is really good to get answers from people who really know what they are doing. Also been looking around the site at pictures of all the different morphs available. Ded jealous. All I can find at my local reptile place are the ordinary looking ones.

Again, Thanks

Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: