Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General feeding question in Winter (Royal and Hognose Owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsrawlinson
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: General feeding question in Winter (Royal and Hognose Owners Reply with quote

Both my Hognose and Royal have both shown no signs of eating, both snakes were regularly eating each week until about the start of november.

Basically what im asking is - is this normal in anyway? Both are heated with heat mats and set at the recommended temps nothing has been adjusted for winter. Should i have adjusted the temperature for winter to reduce any weight loss?

I have lowered the temps for the hognose in attempt to stop any weight loss.

Should i do anything for my royal? She will always stay in the heated part of her tank.

From having two snakes that were eating regularly and generally being healthy i have just doubted myself completely because they have both stopped eating. i have only had the hognose about 18 months so did have her through winter she did reduce her eating but has completely stopped this year.

Any advice? on this i realise they are both completely different snakes im talking of but both refused to feed at the same time?
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hoggy has stopped eating too. has refused quite a few meals now, but i believe this is normal. what age and sex is your royal?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah your royal is a female, to be honest royals are a pain when it comes to eating. what exactly do you have your temps at. should be around 90 hot end and 80 cool end. and what have you tried to get her eating. what size viv/tub is she in?
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hoggie is female and is getting a little thin now, but i am used to seeing her eating a lot. i have cooled her for a bit cos the room she was in was quite warm so i cant see any harm in cooling her for a bit.

Not sure on the sex of the royal to be honest i was just used to writing she sorry.

the tub is 30" long with two identical exo terra hides in quite a snug fit
Temp at heated end is constantly 30 C not sure about the overall room temp - Always stays at the heated end though
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my hot end at 90, not sure what that is in C. but the room they are in is heated to 80. try to give cool end of 80. have you changed anything recently, larger tub for instance? i usually find if my royals stop eating a few weeks in smaller tub does the trick. but to be honest at some point they all stop. just dont let it worry you with the royal, if you are getting worried about your hoggy and she is losing a lot of weight then have a trip to vet to put mind at rest.
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is perfectly normal for many snakes to stop eating during the winter. This is in preperation for breeding seasons. I wouldnt worry about it unless the snakes get really thin. You can lower the temps in the viv over winter - but you are a bit late now. They also respond to differing daylight hours. To be honest some snakes wont start to eat again until march. Next year as winter gets close, up the feeding schedule to make sure the snakes are a good weight for the winter.
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird that. cause all mine who havent been eating started eating with a vengeance in november december. except the hoggy. but if he is losing a lot of weight get a vet to have a look.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mate always better to get the snake double checked Wink
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal behavior for a Hognose. When mine refuse to eat any more in the Autumn I let two or three weeks go by, offering food still. If they are determined not to eat then by then their guts are empty and so it is safe to let them sleep for a couple of months. Put them into a room that is 50 / 55, water in the viv with them, nice and dark - let them sleep. If your one is still not eating you could give it 6 weeks sleep. That way it will stop losing so much weight.

Royals are different. They come from Africa and so do not want a cool sleep. If you want to breed then the temps can be lowered a bit at night, but if not then keep the temps the same as usual. Going off feed during the Winter is quite common and nothing to worry about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: