Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shed Skin Request - Long Term Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Shed Skin Request - Long Term Project Reply with quote

The Request
The Ratsnake Foundation is trying to collect data of scale counts of any and all types of ‘ratsnake’, so that a database may be built up for people to reference. The data can be used not only for sex determination (primary objective) but also help build a picture up of the upper and lower limits of the various scale counts for particular species. To that end we would be grateful if you could send us your complete sloughs of any species of ratsnake if you are not comfortable counting scales, any scale counts of your animals or ones you’ve collected in the field of any species of ratsnake, whether Old World or New if you are more confident in counting scales. Even if you have just dorsal counts or maybe labial counts, they would help us with our long term project, as only the relevant data will be added for a particular sub project (i.e. sex determination, will require that the sex is known at the outset, for instance).

What do you mean by a Ratsnake then?
The term 'ratsnake' is obviously one of dubious taxonomic value, an artificial pigeon hole that certain groups of animals may fall into. Some people would describe some animals as racers while others would happily proclaim them to be ratsnake. The Foundations definition of 'ratsnakes' are all animals that are currently or have been described as such, primarily concerning all species formerly described as Elaphe in the tome written by Schulz, 'A Monograph of the Colubrid Snakes of the Genus Elaphe (Fitzinger)'. We are however, also open to the discussion of any other snake commonly described as 'ratsnakes', such as Rhynchophis boulengeri (Rhino ratsnake), Ptyas, Spilotes & Spalerosophis species etc. in our eyes these snakes are also 'ratsnakes'. Needless to say, Corn snakes are also ‘ratsnakes’ as well.

What information do we require?Well, as much as possible out of the following list but don’t be put off if you just have some of the counts and not others, we’d be interested in any and all from the following list:-
1. Species/Subspecies
2. Probe depth
3. Dorsal scale counts and the position they were taken from, i.e. mid-body, anteriorly or posteriorly.
4. Sex –if known
5. Labial Counts, both infra (lower) & supra (upper)
6. Ventral scales
7. Sub-caudal scales

Where to send it to
Please could you send complete sloughs or scale counts of your animals to:-

Ratsnake Scutellation Records
The Ratsnake Foundation
Scale Counts
P.O. Box 810
Taunton
TA1 9EA.

Alternatively send your counts to chairperson@ratsnakefoundation.org or log on to the site and PM Dave, Lou or Sue.

Many thanks in advance, the Ratsnake Foundation www.ratsnakefoundation.org
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And skins you shal have.. At least from me.. or my animals that is.. the ones with scales.. (I know that I sounded a little "over the top", but I have learned that it is better on this forum where all the funny people are hangi´n.. Laughing Laughing ) As soon as the scaley-thingies gets up from thier hibernation..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: