Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salamandra s. giglioli advice please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Salamandra s. giglioli advice please? Reply with quote

HI! I bought two 1 year old of these rare subspecies of fire salamanders (I'll show some pics later on), I had previous experience with other salamanders including s.s. terrestris but I know the requirements for this subspecies are different, in fact I don't know what's wrong but they are refusing the worms and crickets I gave them. Unfortunately, I could not get any detailed information on the care of s. giglioli, anyone with experince can give me some advice please? thanks
KJ Exotics
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the food in a geo-viv, and place the salamander on it's own in there, just spary with some water, place in a dark cupboard and leave for a while they should eat, do you know what they had been fed on before.
Nuneaton warwickshire
rigsby
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept these for years and never had a problem feeding them, most of mine take food from my hand. Try a wax worm or two they find them hard to resist.

Frank
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies! They look very similar to yours! I 'll show some pics later on.
They used to be fed with slugs, but is hard to find them captive bred, dartfrog.co.uk have none available at the moment and I wouldn't give them some wild caught ones. I 'll have to wait till they have some available.. tried wax worms but they seem to be bothered by them, temperatures are ok, never exceed 18 celsius and are near a window facing a garden to get some fresh air.
I am not using any moss at the moment, only kitchen paper with lots of water, a water dish, and some dry leaves as hiding places, any more advice guys? thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: