Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rodent shortage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Rodent shortage? Reply with quote

I have been informed that some frozen rodent suppliers are having trouble obtaining stock. I understand it is due to an outbreak of a disease amongst Rodents in Eastern Europe, a source for a lot of companies.
I also understand that there have been several cases of Snakes dying after being fed infected mice.

Has anybody heard similar? Can somebody confirm it is true, or is it just a rumour?.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of any infections etc but there will always be a shortage until the price of rodents rises to a level were they can actually be breed as a feeder item without losing money.

The vast majority of rodents used seem to be ex lab stock (from Europe) that is excess waste (not tested so OK to use Wink ) but of course this means that they are extremely cheap for the wholesalers to buy (as they are a waste product Wink ) but as such are not a reliable source because if there is no excess then there is no 'waste' for the feeder market.

Until the price rises to a level where they can be bred in the UK as a feeder item then there will always be intermitant supply.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I kept snakes and a monitor I used to take the "waiste" from work (NIMR) each week, the bulk of lab mice there are used purely for genetics work. infact I used to get so many each week i would seperate them out and sell them to local pet shop Laughing the good old days eh Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeding rats and mice commercially is quite expensive, if you are going to produce high quality food items on a regular basis.

a 200-300g rat (small) takes 2 months to get to that size, 400g+ 3 months.

Its a small world MJ, in the old days when I worked at medical institutes in london my reptile food was always free ! I moved out of london and down to Pfizer in kent. I had to start to pay for my reptile food which was quite a shock!

A few times I bought excess from lab supply companies in the UK, in the end I used honeybrook which 90% of the time i always got what I needed, I kept 2 x 6 ft freezers full of reptile food.

I did use the eastern european suppliers a few times, but the quality was not always great.

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
Herpquest
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I glad that we breed all our own feeders!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herpquest wrote:
Am I glad that we breed all our own feeders!

It's the only way Cool

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: