Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yemen Chameleons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reflection and with a high level of internal conflict I have concluded that perhaps the idea of filling my house with peat was not such a good proposition after all! Plus I don't have a chimney anway.

Good luck with the bin will be interesting.

Q; I have read that placing chameleon eggs further away from each other in an incubator will result in differnt hatching intervals, in turn this will lead to eggs being hatched less prematurely than they should, again in turn leading to healthier babies. Apparently the logic for this was based upon the idea that when close together the eggs seem to hatch in a simultaneous fashion, when further apart the opposite. The conclusion / theory was that the eggs chemically communicated with each other when close together. Not sure why or if this is true, does anyone know?

Is there any evidence to suggest that diff incubation temps produce greater or lesser numbers of gender? Thanks.

Rick

Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did try that, mine were about an inch apart...

(dustbin scott!!! can you imagine how long it will take to dig the eggs out after!)

anyway... mine... 4 rows of eggs... all the ones in the middle hatched the same time, and the 4 on the end of the rows at one end, and 3 at the other end, hatched later... in fact i have three eggs unpipped 12 days after the others hathing.. one still is a maybe, the other two are knackered i think..

and 26/27c 6 months would have been this week, so two weeks early of 6 months..

N
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool so u incubated them at 26/27 for 6 months. What sort of incubator did u use. Home made or commercial, are the Brinsea Hatchmaker R's any good?

Rick

Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

home made, and not even on a pulse stat, just an on off one...

heat mat in bottom, wire mesh tray about half way up.. probe for stat and probe for thermometer go via hole in side near lid..

thats about it!

22nd july they were laid, and they started to hatch on the 14th Jan Smile

N
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it works then it's gotta be better than spedning 200 notes on an incubator. (Hatch maker R). Six months is quick for hatching, well done.

Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: