Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

soft shell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goose
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: soft shell Reply with quote

anyone keep soft shell turtles ? (trionyx). I have a pair of sinensis but info is hard to come by.

Tom
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures of yours? Smile

I have always liked them but not had the room as they need a fair amount to be comfortable. Seeing as I am moving some where very shortly with a bit more space though who knows, it might happen.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Goose
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly i dont have a camera thats up to the job at the moment. They will need a lot of space when fully grown, they are in a tank at the moment but when they grow up a bit theyre going into a purpuse built pond in the conservatory
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fantastic set up that you have planned. You definately need to get a camera sorted for that! Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
lophius
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept a few softshells in the past. Most recently I was given a sick juvenile sinensis, unfortunately this animal hung on for about 4 months, but had very very bad shell curl, fungal infection and various other issues - eventually giving up just before christmas.

In the past I had a large male T ferox. I had the animal from a hatchling for 5 years, at that point it was 11.5" carapace length. I always kept the animal in an aquarium with fish I found that in a large enough aquarium they coexisted fine.

As you know they are incredibly active - I kept the 11" one in an aquarium 10ft x 3ft x 3ft - I would not consider putting one in anything less than about 7ft long and 30" wide.

I had a female that was slightly larger - but still barely half grown.

Do you keep your pair together? I always found that aggression was a problem, both inter and intrapsecific (I have tried mixing with various other species, including sliders, musk turtles and fly river).

I have had best results feeding pelleted food and have found Hikari Koi staple pellets to be about the best all round food for most of my turtles, including snappers, matamata, soft shells, fly river etc. Supplemented with whitefish, occassional prawns and worms.

Small soft shells can be quite sensitive and I lost an albino, water quality needs to be tip top and stable otherwise fungus is a problem.

carl
Goose
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment they are kept together but their tank has more hiding than open space and as they each have their preffered spots I have not observed any conflict. I feed them seperately to reduce the chance of this also. In an effort to reduce the chance of infection I use a fair bit of aquarium salt in the water which is filtered and changed every 4/5 days. I also remove debris with a turkey baster as and when I see it. one of them had two bite marks covered in white furry stuff on the rear edge of its shell when they came to me as rehomes, but it cleared up with a couple of swabbings of povidone iodine and the added aquarium salt. Now the bite marks have healed completely. Theyve been with me for about 4months now and are fed with pellets, krill, bloodworm and earthworms, there is also a chunk of cuttlefish bone in the tank at all times which they frequently bite chunks from.

peace, love and captive breeding
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the reptile shop i work we have a female soft shel beautifull face on her and she's for sale 20 pound Wink
Royal Python
Fire bellied Toads
And a Nutty Staffy
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take it that is cheep how much do they usually go for?????????

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
David Maguire
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollywog sells them at 10 and i think thats a great price Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: