Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cview Adverts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Cview Adverts? Reply with quote

You have probably noticed that Cview adverts has recently changed, plus you will have to pay to display in the future.

So what do people think?

Personnally I think it's a shame as it was a very good tool for ALL UK keepers to use but it will probably take a long time to get going again (if at all?)

I had problems over a year ago with my adverts 'disappearing' from a classifieds site (not Cview), so I decided to launch www.reptileclassifieds.co.uk , I wanted something that I knew wouldn't be tampered with or restricted unnecessarily. It currently contains over 700 reptile adverts and has had over 2000 posted since March 05. What do people think of ReptileClassifieds.co.uk ? can you think of any improvements that will make it better?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a shame we have to pay but I do understand why. It does annoy me when I post an advert (on cview) and ten minutes later it's near the bottom of the page, as shops and multiple posters (those who post the same advert everyday, just so their advert is at the top) put up extra long posts. I know shops need to advertise, but personally I feel their should be a separate section for them to do so.

The new format on cview (sectioning the animals for sale) looks much better than the old method. You can find what you're looking for much easier.

I think reptileclassifieds is great the way it is. I like it as the number of posts per page is limited so you aren't trawling through to find what you're looking for. It's also easier to read the adverts.

Very Happy

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
CokaCola
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefered the old cview classifieds, without a doubt, and i also think that many people share my views which might explain for the fraction of what was posted, now being posted on the new ones.

I think reptile classifieds is great, and i have started using it and possiblly now cview has changed, more people may turn to it aswell.

Tariq.
hogboy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dislike the new classifieds, you can't tell who the poster is, and the pics are tiny.
I would also like to see a mandatory location field, would make it easier
to decide whether to reply to an ad, due to distance etc.
I would agree that many dealers took the pxss, and really should have been barred/modded.

Last edited by hogboy on Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know my opinion on it Scott.

I don't like the way on yours after you have looked at the first page of "new" adverts and you go to the second they are automatically listed as read. Some sort of "recent adverts" option would be good (on the old cview i only ever looked through the new ones) although i dont think you can do that without having accounts on there so cookies can register when you were last there.
The lack of photo ability aswell isn't so great. Adding a photo to an advert dramatically increases the chance of a sale.
Plus the colour is errm, well, brown Confused LOL

Other than that i do like the option to note location and web address on the right

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo opition would certainly be welcome..
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
You know my opinion on it Scott.

I don't like the way on yours after you have looked at the first page of "new" adverts and you go to the second they are automatically listed as read. Some sort of "recent adverts" option would be good (on the old cview i only ever looked through the new ones) although i dont think you can do that without having accounts on there so cookies can register when you were last there.
The lack of photo ability aswell isn't so great. Adding a photo to an advert dramatically increases the chance of a sale.
Plus the colour is errm, well, brown Confused LOL

Other than that i do like the option to note location and web address on the right

That's Dan,
I understand that Cview was far better for the fact you could post photos with the adverts but that's what costs the money, text websites are very cheap to run but add a photo (or 700!) and they start to add up. This forum has gone up by 500% since the photo attachments were added (costs a fair chunk each month).

With reptileclassifieds.co.uk you can add photos but you need them hosted, I know it's a little extra hassle but can still be done by anyone free if they can be bothered. My way of thinking is if they can't be bothered to make the effort, why should I spend an extra £60 a month to host the photos.

As for the colours etc...that can be changed anytime Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogboy wrote:
I really dislike the new classifieds, you can't tell who the poster is, and the pics are tiny.
I would also like to see a mandatory location field, would make it easier
to decide whether to reply to an ad, due to distance etc.
I would agree that many dealers took the pxss, and really should have been barred/modded.

I'm sure they could of charged just the traders for adverts. I think perhaps they should of tried for 'paid' banner adverts (ie. shops or product placement type) before opting for charging per personal ad.

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
The photo opition would certainly be welcome..

lol....you can...you just needed them hosted (lazy bugger!)

hogboy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol....you can...you just needed them hosted (lazy bugger!)
Me lazy Cool

There doesn't appear to be a hosted picture option on the new cview
ads section, i always used to link to pics on my Kingsnake pics section.
I guess the shops copy and paste their entire stocklist, because its easier/cheaper than updating the websites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: