Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do you love me???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkdan99
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: do you love me??? Reply with quote

yes, i want something...OK, so i gonna be a cheeky git now!

is there anyone in the Essex/eastlondon areas, with DWA who's willing to work a slave for a day, in return for some basic info etc and possibly some handling.

i want to get some experience with some DWA's because it seems that i may be in close contact with some in the not so distant future.

previously i have handled a few (2 or 3) adders in the wild (before i knew that i shouldn't, picture a 10/13yo Steve Irwin fan Rolling Eyes ) and was lucky not to get bitten! with my stick, and coat hanger/bamboo hook.

but i want to gain some experience, even if it is just cleaning sh!t from a Viv, so i can get used to maintenance etc.

any offers appreciated.

and to all those who think i am a cheeky beggar, if you don't ask, you don't get!
Bloodboy2000
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest mate it really isn't cost affective or sensible for anyone to let you into a private collection for hands on, I am at the end of my application now just awaiting my last inspection.

As standard a dwa holder needs to hold public liability insurance and mine does not cover any one apart from myself, even if the old man was to get nailed it wouldn't cover him, When i inquired about putting him on it for a week later this year when im on holiday it worked out nearly as much again for the insurance, its over £75 a day.

If you've only handled adders then you need someone willing to mess about with insurance ect and have species you could possibly work with ie copperheads, small rattlers. I think its very unrealistic mate for you to be able to get it like that. Its extremely hard to get into dwa I'm afraid if you want to do it by the proverbial book.

May i ask how old you are, I'm 18 and a few months and its been a bit harder even with 10 years plus experience 2 of which has been working with hots.

All i can say is good luck but be prepared to be disappointed.

Tom
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it seems that i may be in close contact with some in the not so distant future

Tell us more!! Very Happy

Al
darkdan99
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.

i always thought that the PUBLIC liability insurance covered any members of the PUBLIC, hence its purpose. silly names confuse me!

(not having a go at you BTW, moaning at the system!!)

i am 18, and a half Smile

tell us more?

well a friend is soon to open a reptile shop in my area, and we ave discussed the POSSIBILITY of stocking some "hots" because it seems that where we are, (Essex) there are very few shops. this means that we could cater for a large area and although sales are slow, it could turn a small, but regular profit.

i Will be in-store alot of the time, because said mate will be continuing his full time job, for a while, until he is satisfied with the shops income etc.

so if we do end up with hots, most of the daily maintenance would (probably) fall to me.

now with long tongs, and partitions as standard, there will be very little interaction between me and the actual animal, but i will occasionally need to do more hands on tasks.

as i said, though, this is only a "maybe" at the moment, and we may not even stock DWA snakes for a while, but if we do, then i should be prepared.

i have watched all of Viperkeepers vids on youtube, and picked up some tips and info, but the worst snake i have is a stroppy hoggie, (11inch) so not much!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to help although to be honest I don't have much spare time at the moment so it wouldn't be for a few months at the very earliest.

Which local authority will the potential shop be under?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodboy2000 wrote:
To be honest mate it really isn't cost affective or sensible for anyone to let you into a private collection for hands on, I am at the end of my application now just awaiting my last inspection.

As standard a dwa holder needs to hold public liability insurance and mine does not cover any one apart from myself, even if the old man was to get nailed it wouldn't cover him, When i inquired about putting him on it for a week later this year when im on holiday it worked out nearly as much again for the insurance, its over £75 a day.

Sorry Tom, I'm lost here??? Public liability insurance that DOESN'T insure the public? I think you'll find that YOUR the ONLY one that's not covered by your insurance

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im of the understanding that if you have a shop and a petshop licence you are covered for dwa ?!? is that incorrect ?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:
im of the understanding that if you have a shop and a petshop licence you are covered for dwa ?!? is that incorrect ?

technically that is correct although certain local authorities may stipulate that you are only covered for certain species and would try and force you to apply for a dwa license (although I'm sure this isn't lawful or required under current legislation).

darkdan99
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer, and if you don't mind, and do have the time, that would be fantastic.

at the moment, the shop will either be under basildon, or south-end council.

it seems more likely in south end, as an offer has been made on a shop in said area.

it seems fairly "easy" to get the license in basildon, a friend has recently obtained a license within 2/3 weeks, but this is for a dwarf caiman.

i haven't a clue to southends procedures, but i have always assumed, as said that the pet shop license covered DWA listed animals.
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Bloodboy2000 wrote:

Sorry Tom, I'm lost here??? Public liability insurance that DOESN'T insure the public? I think you'll find that YOUR the ONLY one that's not covered by your insurance

Tom

As a DWAL holder you have to have a public liability insurance policy set-up as you know.
However the policy does not cover you for any injury sustained to you by any of your snakes, you choose to keep dangerous animals and you choose to put yourself at risk.

You are covered against being sued by any member of the public who are injured or killed ( I guess in this case a relative would sue you) or have property damaged as a result of any of your charges escaping.
Your insurance company would then pay out costs and damages on your behalf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: