Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Young Reptile Keepers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanLay
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Young Reptile Keepers Reply with quote

Can I ask why you wouldn't buy animals from a 13 year old? I'd go with how well the animals have been kept, rather than the breeders age.

Edit This post has been split from original thread as it was no longer relevant. -Scott W
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only buy animals that are from an experienced keeper/breeder, and who has a decent knowledge of the herp trade. I once had an adult pair of Beardies from a lad who was 16. He had grown them on from hatchlings. But about 2 months down the line things started going wrong and the female died, I took her and the male along to a local exotic pet vet. After examining the female and male he said that the female had died from a long term metabolic condition, most likely due to a either no uv or a old bulb being used. The male beardie had the same condition, but it wasn't as bad as the females had been. 2 months later he had to be euthanised. So even though I got them from a young keeper who was selling them cheaper than retail, I paid out more than double that in vets fees. So now I buy my animals from experienced keepers who have a good reputation, even though I have to pay more for the animal to start with.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to form their own opinions but i will say jim there are several "well known" "respected" breeders in the UK that i personally wouldnt trust with a barge pole.. Wink Cool
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. I know someone who had some basilisks that ended up having similar conditions to that of my beardies. He had them about 3 months before it started to show, and the breeder who had had them since babies before selling them is high up in IHS. I only use a small handful of people when getting animals.
DanLay
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim.
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't looking for an argument, just thought it was a interesting point.
I would, however, still be careful painting all 'non-adults' with the same brush. There are a couple of lads (Under 18 ) from Italy and France who have a very impressive knowledge of what they keep (some of the rarest geckos in captivity) and I would certainly rather put my collection in their capable hands than 90% of the adults I have known. You have to remember that these are the people who have time to observe their geckos during the time after school and keep much better records than those adults who are out working a long day.
Sorry to hear that you did have a problem with some of your purchases from a younger breeder, but this will have been replicated by adults breeders alike.

Last edited by DanLay on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know you weren't trying to start argument, and neither was I just sharing my views.
Liam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thirteen and am soon going to try to breed crested geckos!
I probably wont sell many and if i do they will only go to people with experience(mine will have everything they need to be healthy and more)
I would much rather buy from someone who is young(13-18)who looks after them well and are healthy than someone older(35-60)who has unhealthy ones in bad conditions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: