Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reccomended First Venomous
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better get yourself down there mate! Laughing Laughing

Whats with all the abreviations on this thread? Laughing Laughing

I haven't got a clue what species you guys are talkin' about!! Confused Laughing
coachwhip
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trueviper, Let us know when you are coming over, if its a weekend I will try to be there that day.

wethepeople get your ass across sometime, a little short of stock at the moment but Hamm is this weekend so hopefully more stuff on sunday.

Kenman. The drapiezii is lovely but I really would vet you for that as I really want it but am holding off buying snakes for a while if I can. It's my project to get it feeding so it's me that assists it every week makes me more and more attached to it.

To be fair you need to experience some more snakes to see what types take your fancy, ie boids, racers, arboreals etc. I love all snakes but racers and the like are some of my faves, though rear fanged arboreals are a close second as I'd really love boomslangs and twig snakes. ( so any digs at boid lovers are really lighthearted)

Mike
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to come in on Sunday then Mike?!

Jase

coachwhip
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is more chance of there being stuff in then, though it depends on how Rich feels as to whether it is on display, he won't have had much sleep.
Not sure if I will be in on sunday, I will help out on sat though. gotta feed my drapiezii Razz

Mike
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you feed it?! Frogs?!

What you buying from Hamm?

Jase

Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this topic is great. Thanks all for the great read.

Where abouts is Shropshire? i have been on their site loads of times and always wanted to visit but i have no idea where it is. How far is it from Hertfordshire?

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
coachwhip
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to the left of the west midlands, on the border of wales. From you probably M1, M6, M54 then off at junction 3. It's probably around 100 miles from you, at a guess. A fair distance from ameyzoo anyway. Richard did some venomous training with Mark from ameyzoo, and mark also gave him advice and that for setting up a shop.

Last time I saw Mark I got nailed by the small amethystine python, not a big head but bled a lot for what the damage actually was.

Mike
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go down shrop exotics nearly every weekend and got to know rich , marie and mike very well , great shop and great ppl Very Happy
KenMan
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, to be honest, id prefer to get a tank thats smaller (not as much price, but more space), so what size tank would you think a boiga (obvuously it would differ, but for a boiga cyanea, because I know that bloodboy, you said you would go for a 30x24x48h", but would that be the minimum?
Also, do boiga, being aboreal need UV?
Until what size would you think a single cyanea could go in the 12x12x18h" tank I allready have?
Think a boiga would be better for me than an ATB (amazon tree boa)?

Thanks alot
coachwhip
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which snake do you prefer ? Boiga's are great but hten again so are ATB's. Boiga's aren't as forgiving though, not usually as hardy as ATB's.

Also bear in mind that if you get a hatchling it will have much more chance to get used to you, whereas a nasty adult will probably want to stay nasty (just most adult boigas are WC)

A cyanea, won't be able to stay in a small viv for long, plus they can get to 6ft or more, making them a fairly large snake.

This was my female on a calm day, now however she bites all the time so can't be handled like that. Also really should be wearing a long sleeved top to handle her. She's six foot long so on a really bad day has a 4ft or so strike range, most of which she won't use so you have to get closer to her, then when she's really pissed you are well within bite range. I tend to use a very hands on method with most of my snakes, but if you want venomous then you will want to use only hooks, grabs and tubes. Also you must learn how to hold the head and deal with the snakes no matter what their attitude.

With venomous then if it's a bad day you will leave them alone, but if you need to get them out for any reason you must be confident to do it. If say there are two in a viv and one starts to eat the other then you must be able to go in and seperate them, which will possibly mean getting well within danger.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: