Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reccomended First Venomous
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenMan
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reccomended First Venomous Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering what snake you would reccomend as a first venomous snake?
Theres a few species that Im quite interested in, but Im just looking for abit more info on them, caresheets etc seem a little vague...
Firstly, there are gaboons, just because they look awesome, but I cant really find much on just how toxic their venom is...
Then theres copperheads, which I love the look of, and they stay quite small, so what would you reccomend as a tank size, and how toxic is their venom, from what ive read, its not life-threatening...
And then theres also eyelash vipers, which I cant seem to find for sale, anywhere, but if you know of anywhere with them, or knew of somewhere with them, how much were they? Also, tank size and venom toxcicity please.
ANy other snake speices that would be good as a first hot?
Does anyone know the age of which you can apply for a DWA licence?

Thanks
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min age for dwa is 18.

What sort of snakes have you kept before?

How long you been keeping reptiles?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you mentioned you like Copperheads as in my personal opinion they make great first hots. Very good venomous to work with and should an unfortunate accident happen the venom affects are not directly life threatening.

Phsical syptoms of Copperhead bites are severe pain and swelling around the bite site.

I suggest if you are serious about keeping venomous you should start an exstensive research attitude. Buy some books on the subject and bury youself in them.

Try here to start with:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/102-3873615-5158501?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=venomous+snakes+in+captivity&Go.x=14&Go.y=11

Also I would recomend joining Venomous reptiles.org

Its an american based venomous website which features a very good "ask the experts" forum.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/

They were instrumental in teaching me the basics when I was where you are now.
Try the search engine in ask the experts because more often then not most of your questions may have already been answered in previous posts.

You do get the odd pratt on there to be honest but for the most part they're very eager to help.

Just make sure you fill out your profile first and be honest! They like to know just WHO they're giving advice to.

As for the Gaboon Viper..... I would suggest being happy looking at pictures for now. They are not for beginners.

Sorry if thats a bit rich coming from me.... I've only been keeping venomous for barely a year and I keep large Bitis but I did start with more placid juveniles and worked my way up!!

Did I mention DO YOUR RESEARCH?!!

It is very frowned upon in this hobby for inexperianced keepers like myself to give out advice.
I'm a novice myself and am still learning so all I can do really is try to push you in the right direction of people more qualified to help you.

I strongly recomend Venomous reptiles.org

Just check out their photo album. All uploaded by members!

Of couse any help I can give you with your DWA application just let me know.....

Hope this helps Cool
Bloodboy2000
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaboons are defiantly not a starter snake and to be honest there isn't a starter snake.

There are snakes more suited to the beginner, the beginner being someone with vasts experience of a range of animals and preferably being mentored or worked with something remotely venomous.

I would say the most suited snake to a beginner hot keeper is either a copperhead or one of the small rattlers. Something like a urocoan rattler would also be good.

I Lent a very true saying last year "the most venomous snake is the snake that's just bitten you, venomous do not come with training wheels". This is so true because whether it be a copperhead or a black mamba your not going to be very well.

Try and find someone with a collection and work with them, see if you enjoy it, I've worked with a few people whom have been all up for it and as soon as a baby atrox has reared up and struck forward a few times venomous keeping isn't for them any more Very Happy

Good luck

Tom

Best Piece of advice i got given: Don't skimp, don't get complement and treat with the up most respect.
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
just thought I would add my two cents, if you want to know LD50's for venoms then

http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/snakes/main/mostvenomous.html

is a good place to go, although almost any "hot" that is DWA is listed for a very good reason, I said "almost" before I get a plethora of responses about the inadequacies of the current DWA Very Happy
There are certainly levels in keeping venomous, start small and work your way up, although getting hit is going to give you very serious problems regardless of the snake. The number one rule is don't get bitten so worrying about the LD50 is kinda futile. Sad Russel's vipers make you impotent apparently, by destroying the Pituitary gland, (found that one out yesterday, but not in person Razz ) even the European Adder can be life threatening as a member on this forum was good enough to share with us. Crying or Very sad So even if you survive the bite there are most likely going to be more than just scars to carry for the rest of your life. I say all this because I would hate for anyone to go into this lightly.
If after you've weighed it all up and you are still committed to them, then fair play to you, and may you have many years working with some, if not the most amazing creatures on the planet Laughing
Someone suggested a Coachwhip as a good start to venomous, sounded not a bad idea Laughing The Boigas are a pretty good start imho and are absolutely stunning, Eyelashes are very rewarding and pretty easy to work with, but it all depends on personal preference.
Trueviper has posted some good sites to visit for info on other threads too.
Best of luck

Al
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some more websitetips..

http://www.hotsnakes.org/
http://www.venomdoc.com/

And I think that some of the European vipers are really good to start with..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your getting some very sound advice Very Happy

Forgot to add this link to my post yesterday Rolling Eyes

If anything has helped me more its being able to watch how certain species of viper BEHAVE in captivity.

I realy do believe that having a good understanding of animal behaviour is the key to sucsessful herp keeping, venomous or otherwise.

If you haven't already, your in for a real treat.

This guy Al is a member of venomous reptiles.org has been keeping hots since the stone age.

Enjoy Cool

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=viperkeeper&search=Search
KenMan
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all the advice everyone.
I have visited the venomousreptiles.org website, but ive only looked on the articals part of the site, so thanks for the link Smile
Ive seen those vids too, that guy has some ace snakes, he has the gaboon (Gabby) who is imense!! Great vids...
And thanks for all the other links, Im sure they will come in very useful.
Ive heard from someone else too, that eyelash vipers are in short supply at the moment, so that rules them out, and the gaboons, so ill have to do some research too. Ill post again in here if I need any more advice or if ive progressed in what Im doing etc.

Thanks for all the advice
KenMan
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to add:
I would have though that the age of which a person can obbtain a DWA would be 16, because that is when you can legally buy any animal from a petshop..Strange
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenMan wrote:
Sorry forgot to add:
I would have though that the age of which a person can obbtain a DWA would be 16, because that is when you can legally buy any animal from a petshop..Strange

perhaps they feel at 16 a % of owners wouldn't have the maturity or possibly experiance to handle something that could kill.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: