Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reccomended First Venomous
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question, BEST first venomous snake question gets asked quite a bit. Personally I don't think there is A best first snake and to blindly suggest different species is rather pointless.

I think the species should suit the experiance of the potential owner, hence that's why I asked what species you have already worked with.

I believe the key points that should be taken into account of a first venomous snake should be;
~Hardy - a snake that is NOT prone to problems in captivity
~Reliable - a species that is not fussy with foods and it's care is pretty straight forward
~Workable - a species that can be 'handled' with relative ease, ie hook friendly
~Non Fatal(under the right conditions) - a species that is not a known for a high death rate if treated and that overall if bitten chances of survival are very high and permanant damage to bite area very low (this one is very tricky as people react different to venoms etc but if you suffer badly from bee stings that's a GOOD pointer NOT to get into venomous reptiles).

My first venomous was a Copperhead, that to me fits 3 of the 4 categories, with just workable being off that list as I have never found them to be hook friendly, prefering to drop off at every opportunity.

I've since kept Albino monocled cobras, Rhinos, Gaboons, mojave rattlers, westerns, ammodytes, Cerastes and my favorites the Gila Monsters (plus a few other species I have forgotten)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best to get a FWC and try that for a while to get the hang of summat a bit fiery first!
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Bloodboy2000
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter is correct in saying that a non-venomous rear fanged animal would be good however ask anyone whom has dealt with hots knowing the animal you've got tailed or you've got hooked isn't venomous and wont kill you is slightly different to having a rattler going AWOL or a copperhead keep falling off the hook.

The experience is totally different and although in theory a good idea practically it isn't. I certainly feel different when I've got a pissed Mojave on the end of my hook to when I've got a FWC tailed.

As every ones said read read read and then try some practical experience with a hot keeper preferably someone who's had a private collection for a few years, and start small one viper for a year doesn't hurt anyone. Trying to look after large numbers of venomous isn't easy as everything takes 10 times longer.

Tom
KenMan
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only snakes ive kept have been corns and westies, both of which werent that fiery, think I should keep a false water cobra for a while first?
Has anyone got any good caresheets, threads etc that could give me abit more info (searching on google can get unreliable sources..)

Cheers
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the search function on here is good Wink

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9300&highlight=fwc

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Bloodboy2000
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense but be ready for backlash. Corns and Westerns are absolutely a different level to keeping venomous, I suggest a lot more years of keeping other stuff before embarking on the dwa route.

Tom
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got a lot to think about! Very Happy Very Happy

Here's some more Shocked Laughing

http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/index.html
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has been a very interesting topic, thankyou so much for all the info as i want to branch into venomous at some point. Can't yet though not old enough.

Shame that you cannot apply at 16 but alot of 16 year olds are idiots and cannot be trusted, so 18 is a safer age limit.

On the application form for a DWA what do you have to fill in? what do they ask you? do you get 'inspected' to make sure you are housing them properly? are there any special rules about enclosures?

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Pyrockat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ailurus wrote:
this has been a very interesting topic, thankyou so much for all the info as i want to branch into venomous at some point. Can't yet though not old enough.

Shame that you cannot apply at 16 but alot of 16 year olds are idiots and cannot be trusted, so 18 is a safer age limit.

On the application form for a DWA what do you have to fill in? what do they ask you? do you get 'inspected' to make sure you are housing them properly? are there any special rules about enclosures?

A lot of 18 year olds are idiots who cannot be trusted. A lot of 39 year olds are idiots who cannot be trusted. Sadly, stupidity does not come with an expiration date.

I was looking at getting a DWA license recently for keeping exotic mammals, and I found a link to the forms you have to fill out, but I cant for the bloody life of me find it...
coachwhip
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you have probably been expecting this but you really do need to get a lot more experience with snakes and that before you even consider DWA. Also you have to ask why you want DWA, there are lots of other beautiful snakes that can be had with aren't dangerous.
also another thing to remember is that there are no front fanged species that can't kill you, if you react to even a mild viper bite then you can die add to that the fact that taking antivenom can be just as dangerous as the bite itself.

While I agree that no non dwa rear fanged can be swapped for a dangerous DWA, but getting some different snakes and treating them like venomous may help at least in getting you used to a hook. things like boigas will approximate to a tree viper, and things like racers may get you more used to using a hook with things that may not sit on them.

Ask yourself again why you want DWA. It's a very big decision, I'd love DWA as there are a few things I'd love to keep (boomslangs, twigs and mambas come to mind), but these are very advanced snakes. Plus you can't be too confident around them, while you don't want to fear them you must have a decent amount of respect. This must be at the front of your mind as well. I've helped my friend with his stuff before now (not hands on really though) and up until I sexed the russells viper (I never had the sharp end) then I knew they could kill me but it never really was at the front of my mind so I didn't dare let myself ask to deal with anything as I knew I might be too sloppy and revert to my colubrid handling skills (ie hands on, ignore the bite).

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: