Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adder Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Adder Question Reply with quote

Just wondering would their be reason to believe that there is a corralation between vipera berus populations and
1) domestic cat populations;
2) areas of high mouse/rat poison sales

anyone with thoughts on either would be really useful.

Cheers
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: adders Reply with quote

I've never seen anything published regarding rat poison and stuff affecting populations but domestic cats can be one of the biggest problems for UK native herps.

There are plenty of reports where cats have been recorded killing slow worms, smooth snakes, sand lizards, grass snake and adder.

The only comfort is the thought that sometimes the adders get a good bite into cats first!!

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers. im just desperately searching for a dissertation topic, not to sure. I thought it would be interesting to do the poisons thing but not sure if it is wise to do if it has absolutely no affect on populations. cheers for you're input. Got to think of something before monday 12.00pm, i'm stressing lol
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I can't really see much of an effect or correlation between poisons and cats etc for wild adder populations, certainly not in the populations I know of. They are all isolated and are
pretty much in accessible by cats.

What I would say is since mountain bikers have taken over parts of Epping Forest I have seen a drop in adder sightings Sad

Overall habitat disturbance and destruction is what is wiping out the populations around here.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats interesting. i thought it might be a flaw with areas of smaller urban areas (or none). theres always flaws in every topic i think... grrrrrrrrr. i did read somewhere that heathland conservation efforts was destroying habitat and hibernation dens due to not well thought out plans for environmental management, without taking the adders into consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: