Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copperhead Pics.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karkov wrote:
What a great snake... One of my favs.
I've thought about this sometimes: If you simply put the defrosted mouse in the terrarium of your contortrix, V. ammodytes, etc., would it eat it, or do you need to always move the prey?
Thanks...

It depends a lot. You can "train" them to eat thawed mice.
All my V. ammodytes eats if I put the food in the enclosure and walk away. By the way.. So does my V. orlovi and Gloydius halys caragaus aswell..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
karkov
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Morbid. I've seen your reptile and amphibian collection on your site (great site, by the way...) and I'm very impressed about them! Out of curiosity, I've downloaded the V. ammodytes caresheet and I didn't foudn anything on how they are fed. I'm also an European viper lover, but that's a difficult animal to get here (even the corn snakes are.....). Did any of your venomous snakes bit you?
Thanks for the info...
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karkov wrote:
What a great snake... One of my favs.
I've thought about this sometimes: If you simply put the defrosted mouse in the terrarium of your contortrix, V. ammodytes, etc., would it eat it, or do you need to always move the prey?
Thanks...

Just to add to what Mique said, in my own experiance all of my snakes will eat pre-killed mice when left in the enclosure. They will "stumble" upon the food and just begin eating. They are very used to life in captivity and seem to know that their food is just given to them. Wink

However as a matter of course I always prefer to tease-feed (wiggle the prey in front of the snake to feign life) so to keep the animal interested and alert but also because it's cool to watch my vipers slowly stalk their prey and manouver themselves into the strike posistion and them WHAM!

Some of them strike and release, others strike and hold depending on what species or the size of the prey being offered.

I never just dump the food in the enclosures as Watching my snakes hunt and eat is part of why i keep venomous in the first place.

But sometimes if I have a shy eater I will give the little guy some privacy and let him eat in peace without me standing over him.
karkov
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are very used to life in captivity and seem to know that their food is just given to them.

Or maybe it's part of the instinct: for example, if a snake in the wild sees a freshly killed/dead animal, it will eat it, and save some energy, venom and time. Of course their adaptation to captivity turns it easier to feed them, and it's sure that they show different behaviors because of their captivity life. Have you ever been bitten by one of your actual snakes?
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karkov wrote:
Hi Morbid. I've seen your reptile and amphibian collection on your site (great site, by the way...) and I'm very impressed about them! Out of curiosity, I've downloaded the V. ammodytes caresheet and I didn't foudn anything on how they are fed. I'm also an European viper lover, but that's a difficult animal to get here (even the corn snakes are.....). Did any of your venomous snakes bit you?
Thanks for the info...

Thamks!

No, I have just put out what they eat, not how they feed.

Oh.. Why is that?

Nope.. No bites. Close a couple of times, but never really close.

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
karkov
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh.. Why is that?

First because the minds here are very closed and people are very preconcepted about all reptiles, principally snakes; fear of the 'unknown', and old traditions and superstitions, I guess. So, the reptile market here is very low, because there's no much people looking for snakes (although I guess if the offer increases, then people would become more interested in these animals, would search information on them, and commercialization would increase in quality an quantity.).
Then, there's the problem of the law. The law forbids the keeping of boids, pythonids and viperids that are included on the CITES, for sanitary (???) reasons; I guess we can take advantage of this 'hole' in the law, and keep Vipers that are not included on the CITES. But I never seen any at sale here.
There are only a few Pet shops here that sell more than turtles and iguanas. And those who sell snakes, normally are restricted to corn snakes and Kings, or even milks... It's a rarity to find a pituophis, for example.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karkov wrote:
Quote:
They are very used to life in captivity and seem to know that their food is just given to them.

Or maybe it's part of the instinct: for example, if a snake in the wild sees a freshly killed/dead animal, it will eat it, and save some energy, venom and time. Of course their adaptation to captivity turns it easier to feed them, and it's sure that they show different behaviors because of their captivity life. Have you ever been bitten by one of your actual snakes?

Good point.

Youre right, if a snake came across carrion theres no reason to believe it wouldn't take advantage of that.
In fact I think wild Cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivirous) have been observed doing just that.

So far no bites Wink

I adhere to very strict safety routines when working with my snakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: