Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tesco are Scum!?!?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Tesco are Scum!?!?!? Reply with quote

Hi,
not sure if this is the right part of the forum to be posting this, but I just watched the BBC 6 O'clock news about Tesco in China.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6300993.stm

There is a "watch report" link on the page

They had footage of live Soft Shell Turtles being sold for soup in their shops! Evil or Very Mad
I can't believe that they are doing this and I hope it has serious repercussions for their business back in the UK, if they were selling Dogs in Vietnam or Monkeys then I'm sure there would be immediate outcry.
Anyone else think that this is not to be tolerated? Even though Tesco are everywhere, they have never made it to Jersey so I have no way of protesting this point but I hope others will in the UK. I will be making further inquiries tomorrow. According to IUCN red list the species is currently listed as Vulnerable due to exploitation.
I know this species is sometimes farmed but seriously is this the kind of behaviour we expect from a British company?

Please let me know your thoughts

Al
955i
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost as if they were selling cut up pieces of cow, sheep and pig in the U.K.

Disgusting Wink
Just A Beginner
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

955i - Frankly thats a ridiculous comment. How often do you see live animals being sold for home slaughter? Well, actually the Chinese obsession with freshness often leads to carving the meat from the turtles live. Not really any 'slaughtering' involved.

It has nothing to do with hipocracy on eating meat and not thinking about where it comes from, or favouring the fates of some animals over conventional food animals. Its unnecesary, cruel, unregulated suffering advocated by a commercial shop chain which developed and amassed a fortune over here, only to capitalize on a lack of animal cruelty laws elsewhere in the world. So far tesco has refused to stop selling live vertebrates over there despite outrage over here, on the grounds of 'tradition' and 'cultural differences' (i.e. its bringing in a profit).

+ for the record I'm not a veggie or squeamish with my food. I filleted a pheasant for my tea today. Damn tasty it was too, having not been crammed in concentration camp style enclosure, pumped full of hormones, had its beak clipped off to render it defenseless, fed on a diet of pelleted god-knows-what-if-anything, bred to put on weight far too quickly for its bones to cope with or waded around in its own sh*te for most of its short life before being hung upside down, dipped in electrically charged water to nock it out (doesn't get every bird though) and have its throat cut without being able to fight back.

It happens to alot of food-birds, just so they can be minced up into a paste and pressed into nuggets, breadcrumbed, packeted with a picturesque scene of rolling hillsides *cough*BernardMatthews*cough* and sold cheaply by the truckload to a nation that fancies themselves as animal lovers but wonders why its getting obese and malnourished on a diet of mass produced cheap meat.

If people spent just as much money but bought a smaller amount of quality meat instead of a mound of cheap cr*p, we'd stop turning into such an obese country plus it would do more traditional farms the world of good (so that those quait little farms that people love to go to and look at the animals could make some money). As for people who cant cope with the thought of eating an animal (the type who only eat it if its skinned, boned, homogenised and disguised)... don't eat meat!

Shocked Exclamation Shocked Question Well that came out of the blue. Sorry for the rant everyone... The first paragraph seems to be directed at 955i, the second at everyone, and from there I launched a bit of a tirade against the nation.... ShockedI seem to have developed a bit of an 'issue' Shocked

At least it got it off my chest I suppose Embarassed

http://www.geocities.com/crayon_conservationist/
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

955i wrote:
It's almost as if they were selling cut up pieces of cow, sheep and pig in the U.K.

Disgusting Wink

If they sold cut up pieces of farmed reared turtle YES it would be the same Wink But I would say it's just like seeing a cage full of wild caught 'chickens' that haven't been fed or watered for days, sold off to shoppers for them to take home and slaughter.

There is another recent thread here too http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8806

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just A Beginner wrote:

Shocked Exclamation Shocked Question Well that came out of the blue. Sorry for the rant everyone... The first paragraph seems to be directed at 955i, the second at everyone, and from there I launched a bit of a tirade against the nation.... ShockedI seem to have developed a bit of an 'issue' Shocked

At least it got it off my chest I suppose Embarassed

Laughing nice post though Wink pretty much agreed with it all Very Happy

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
955i wrote:

Disgusting Wink

If they sold cut up pieces of farmed reared turtle YES it would be the same Wink But I would say it's just like seeing a cage full of wild caught 'chickens' that haven't been fed or watered for days, sold off to shoppers for them to take home and slaughter.

Or possibly like tanks full of live wild caught Crabs, Lobsters or Eels?, or is that also different?.
Of Course, Britain wouldn't endanger wild animals, like Cod and Salmon.

I am not supporting Tesco's, but I do feel we are a rather hypocritical nation.
955i
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you got me, point not made very well Embarassed

I was not trying to belittle the suffering of the turtles.

However, I do think that this is a knee jerk post as we are all into our reptiles and we see this as an outrage.

But consider the way that our meat is brought to the table!!

If you can afford to buy local meat and add extra to your shopping budget then that is great, but I suspect most of us buy ours as part of our weekly shop and if we are being conscientious then we will try to pick a piece of chicken that does not have hock burns so we can hope that this means it's legs could actually support its body (grown too quickly for the legs to develop enough to hold it) and could turn around while it wallowed in it's own filth in the barn it was crammed into.

I agree that the idea of a turtle being sold live and the meat carved off while alive is at best distressing, but it is by no means the only way that animals are mistreated to provide our food.

My real question is would the initial post have been made had it been anything other than a reptile involved, and I suspect not otherwise the forum would be overflowing with this kind of thread.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.S. wrote:
Scott W wrote:
955i wrote:

Disgusting Wink

Or possibly like tanks full of live wild caught Crabs, Lobsters or Eels?, or is that also different?.
Of Course, Britain wouldn't endanger wild animals, like Cod and Salmon.

I am not supporting Tesco's, but I do feel we are a rather hypocritical nation.

Totally agree about the Cod & Salmon, I love fish (to eat) but don't eat any net caught (not knowingly). Must confess I do eat lobster, but I don't think I could eat it if I knew that it was de-shelled while alive, I know throwing it in a pot of boiling water isn't a pleasent way to go either but it's still far far quicker than a turtle being slaughtered in a home environment by having it's shelled removed then it's guts cut out.

Also, my ONLY legitamate gripe with the whole thing is that it's TESCO's, a UK company that's earnt it's BILLIONS (that now puts it in the position to invest overseas) off the back of it's Nature's Choice, RSPCA farm standard and other protocals that they feed to the UK public that obviously go totally against the grain of selling live turtles, bound in nets, chilled, stacked up for days with no food/water etc. At least a crab & lobster gets a little swim while waiting to be eaten Laughing

sam
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont gte tescos-one minute they wasting police time reporting people for taking perfectly legal photographs of deer they have legally shot with a legally owned firearm, the next minute they are selling human livefoods. Fair enough if you ahve a stance or something tesco, but please keep up some form of stability!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

955i wrote:

I agree that the idea of a turtle being sold live and the meat carved off while alive is at best distressing, but it is by no means the only way that animals are mistreated to provide our food.

My real question is would the initial post have been made had it been anything other than a reptile involved, and I suspect not otherwise the forum would be overflowing with this kind of thread.

Quite possibly true, but then again there are far more cat / dog lovers willing to protect them from being skinned alive in Thailand etc than there are people looking out for reptiles & amphibians.

I would hope that the equivilant Dog/cat forum would have similar discussions.

Also, just because it happens elsewhere or to other species doesn't really justify us being quiet and accepting it. Tesco WOULD pull out of the whole thing if they saw the true 'power of the people' in the UK and saw there market share slide because of it, so it's not like us jumping up and down because of something happening 1000's of miles away that we have no control over.

I'll just say again though, Captive farmed turtles, humanely killed and sold in supermarkets (here or abroad) does NOT bother me in the slightest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: