Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New repashy nectar mixes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darky
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: New repashy nectar mixes Reply with quote

Does anyone know, who will be imorpting Allens new base mix & nectar mix in the UK ?

It's getting good reviews stateside & I'm keen to try some out.

cheers james
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some of the new diet this morning (shipped over from the US). For those who haven't heard of it, it's a two part system - part one is a Meal Replacement (MRP) base and part two is a flavoured nectar. I was keen to try this with my Rhacs as most of them didn't take to the other formulated diets (Crested Gecko Diet, Gargoyle Gecko Diet etc.). What I like about it is you appear to have more control/choice over how you feed your Rhacs and the nutritional balance is not altered. This new diet can be offered with or without livefoods - you just adjust the amount of base/nectar you use. The base can also be used/mixed with fruit and babyfood. Here's a link to more details: http://www.pangeareptile.com/2part.htm

I ordered the base along with 2 nectars (papaya and banana). It's feeding night tonight so I'll post the results in the coming days.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Darky
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jackie,

Can you pm me the costs & let me know if customs nabbed it for money when it arrived.

Cheers
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you a PM, James. Very Happy

grink dude
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackie have you fed yet??? how did the cresteds take to the food?
Geordiegirl
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackie,

Could you let me know what you think of it as well. I'm pretty interested in trying it out with my guys.

Thanks
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Jackie
My cresties never used to eat the crested gecko diet either - but I used to mix it to a paste. Then I saw how Scott mixed his and watched his eating/drinking at the CSFC show last year and realise Id probably mixed it wrong. Scott adds a lot more water and they lap it up - and we know how many cresties Scott produces so theyre obviously thriving on it to be breeding so successfully.
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My results to date:

Leachies - both flavours were lapped up by my leachies. Empty bowls the next day!!

Cresteds - I've had a mixed response with my Cresteds. One female ate both flavours. My two other females ate more with the banana nectar mixed in but only after it had been sitting for two nights (in other words when it was fresh they didn't touch it but the following evening (before I cleaned them out) they ate half the portion). My male didn't touch either - but he isn't overly fond of fruit anyway, he prefers livefood.

Chahouas - My chahouas haven't been keen on either of them. My female did try both flavours (you could see a lick mark) but she didn't try much. She loves her fruit so I am going to persevere. My male didn't try it.

Gargoyles - this is the interesting result. Some of my gargoyles liked one and not the other and vice versa (quite odd I thought). All but one of my gargoyles appear to have eaten or at least tried one flavour.

If I'm honest I was very skeptical with the new diet as none of my Rhacs were keen on the other diets (CGD etc), but I have to say with the early results I'm quite impressed with it. I'm still going to offer livefood, so I won't be feeding it exclusively.

Very Happy

Last edited by Jackie on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackie,

Interesting results. I still find it hard to imagine people have trouble switching to CGD, Some times I feed nothing but CGD for weeks on end, other times I offer crickets too.

I think perhaps people overall are a bit too soft when it comes to making the switch, by that I mean they try one night, see it's not touched so offer crickets again. I doubt if any crested would refuse the mix if watered down enough and then used INSTEAD of food & water for a few days.

Basically starve the lizards for 2 days, remove the water on the 2nd day, then that night offer the CGD no thicker than water. Do this for 2/3 days and then ONLY then go back to crickets and water.

With baby cresteds I don't really offer much in the way of CGD, not until they are about 7-10cm's.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean Scott and as Angi has mentioned I probably mixed the old diets too thickly (and was too soft with them..lol). Having said that I don't/didn't mind feeding them fresh fruit and crickets with the appropriate supplements added to them.

I do mix this new system quite thinly - to a consistency which is slightly thicker than water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: