Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incubation of Rhaco eggs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Incubation of Rhaco eggs Reply with quote

Been trying out 2 different incubation substrates, Vermiculite & Perlite. So far had good results on both. Just wondered what others use? also, what humidity levels? and Temps?

Has anyone any ideas for 'research', I am thinking about setting aside upto 50 eggs for any good research ideas.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used vermiculite for the past four years with ciliatus eggs. I've not had any problems with it - 100% success hatch rate. Auriculatus eggs on the other hand have been a nightmare. In total I've lost 8 auric babies when using vermiculite as the incubation medium. All the babies were fully formed but died in the egg. I found out what the problem was from having a chat (well PMs) with a European auriculatus breeder. The eggs absorb too much water when using vermiculite so when the babies start to hatch they drown - probably due to the hatching process being very tiring for them.

Following his advice I switched to perlite - as it's a lot more coarse that vermiculite it doesn't absorb as much water. The change resulted in me hatching my first auric this year..wahoo!! Sadly I only discovered the problem with one fertile egg left.

I've just put another pair of aurics together so (hopefully) I'll be able to confirm whether or not perlite is the key or it was just a fluke for me. Very Happy

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck jackie!!
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
LuckyLucy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hatched a total of 22 babies from 4 females (currently 2 at 2 yrs and 2 at 18 months). However my cresties are set up in a naturalistic vivarium with soil, earthworms, millipedes and beetles with a leaf litter layer. All eggs have been laid in the tank and we've had to catch the babies as and when they hatch. It would be too distructive to digg out the eggs after laying. We saw our female laying once and she had dug almost to the bottom of the soil (20cm deep) and just had her nose sticking out! Anyway from the look of the babies I think only the two older females produced the viable young. All the babies are very vigorous and active by the time we spot and catch them. Unfortuanatley we can't say anything about hatch rate success.

On the research side of things it would be interesting to further investigate if there is any temperature dependent sex selection.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic way to keep them Lucy, well done.

As for TDSD, that's a 9month research study....not sure if I have the patience Rolling Eyes , joking aside, I will be incubating eggs at differing temps and holding back all young, might try with the first 20 eggs next year.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only started breeding mine last year and used vermiculite, left the tops of the eggs peeping out of it and covered them with kitchen towel, which was lightly sprayed as required. they were incubated at room temperature - commencing quite late in the year. Incubation times were around 90 - 106 days.
Then I moved in May, a few hundred miles south, plus the weather rapidly became hot and humid. All my eggs were failing. When laid they appeared to be fertile, but given a month - 6 weeks and they all just collapsed and dried up.
I changed incubation material to cocoa fibre and continued with incubating at room temperature and have started to have 100% success again, with 4 hatching at around 75 - 80 days within the last couple of weeks.

Im thinking of following up on the ones Ive sold too, and finding out what sex they are. I will let you know.
Sonny Hynes
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck all of ya! The results of this research certainly will be interesting. I have not yet got my first Crestie tho so i can't be of much help. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: