Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not many DWA in Kent?.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Not many DWA in Kent?. Reply with quote

I saw the following article in my local free paper, and found it quite odd.
Firstly, it is odd because it was tucked away on the back page and doesn't really seem to have any point to it. However, it did leave me wondering if the non-issue of the licences is due to the councils refusing to issue them, or just because there is no demand. This led to further wondering if there are 'hot' areas in the UK whereby DWA's are more popular.

The article in question:
Quote:
Despite occasional reports of big cat sightings, the Mid and West Kent areas are almost entirely free of dangerous wild animals. Private owners of exotic pets which are deemed to be dangerous, must apply annually to their local authority for a licence to keep the creatures.
The wildlife group Big Cats in Britain said thousands of the licences had been issued throughout the UK. But neither Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council nor Tunbridge Wells Borough Council have issued any. Maidstone Borough Council has issued one- for birds in the aviary at Leeds Castle.

Your thoughts.
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is wondering what birds require a licence, the answer is Cassowaries, Emu and Ostrich.
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
In case anyone is wondering what birds require a licence, the answer is Cassowaries, Emu and Ostrich.

I did wonder, as there are other bidr places in Kent that have various birds of prey.
KJ Exotics
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:

I was thinking about this the other day do you not need one for a penguin, i want a small penguin haha
Nuneaton warwickshire
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the councils listed in that clip are ones that are totally opposed to issuing DWA licenses.

I'm sure Chris Newman has a few case files he could post up.

I think it's disgusting that ignorance of a subject prevents people from keeping the animals they wish to.

I still don't know of a single case of ANY animal covered by the DWA that has attacked and killed a member of the public

Unlike the many serious dog attacks.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you Scott.

Unfortunately in this age of litigation, it is highly unlikely that councils, such as Medway, who are opposed to DWA in any form are likely to change their stance. They probably are exposed to enough hidden threats without obvious ones!

Anyone heard anymore about the DWAA review..........only a few years late!!!

Cheers

Mark
Chris Newman
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am delighted to say Medway has finally been forced to issue its first DWAA license, only took 5 years! Another Kent LA has also just issued a DWAA license (yesterday), but not for reptiles. I have two more LA’s who have never issued DWAA’s previously about to do so. So if anyone is having difficulties with a LA not issuing DWAA’s then I am always willing to advice.

As regards to the when the DWAA review will be completed, all I can say is imminently. I has a meeting with the Minister recently and he confirmed that the changes to the schedule will be announced shortly. As the AWA comes into effect in April I would expect the changes to happen shortly after.
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news. Thanks for letting us know. Smile
robje29
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you reffer to the report the Andrew greenwood etc worked on? what of the changes that were recommended do you know are likely to happen? some of them were good but others not so.
Rob
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news Chris, what did Medway finally charge for such a privilege?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: