Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hamm virgin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boooger
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Hamm virgin Reply with quote

Hi

I have tha chance to go to this Hamm thing.

Too be honest i dont even really know what it is.

Can i just turn up, see something that i like and buy it and bring it home with no dramas?

Any info on the thing would be great, oh an please dont direct me to the hamm site, my german is bab.........

Cheers Dan
carpets
fat tails
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go, man.. Go!!

The show at the autumn is probably the largest fair in Europe.. Sellers there will have reptiles, amphibians, equipment for terrastic puropses as well as terrariums, spiders, scolodenders, mantids and such, books, magazines..........
I often find species there, that I have only seen in pictures.

I donīt know much about the Decembershow, but thinking that it cannot be bad.

You can turn ut and look.. I donīt know the rules for taking reptiles into the UK, but iīm sure that someone else here knows.

Once again.. GO!! Laughing

//Miqe

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
keiron
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Morbid i would definitly go if you have the chance its an experience to say the least! i went for the first time in september and was amazed at the variety of animals on display.

As far as i know you can bring anything back with you but with any animal listed on CITES e.g tortoises you will need a certificate to accompany that animal back to the UK.

Also venomous animals you will obviously need a valid DWA to bring them back into the country.

All in all Hamm is a great experience i can't wait to go back in march but be warned a LOT of people attend this event so be prepared for a long wait to get in! Very Happy
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hamm virgin Reply with quote

Too be honest i dont even really know what it is. - Biggest reptile show in Europe (although September is bigger)

Can i just turn up, see something that i like and buy it and bring it home with no dramas? - Yep pretty much, technically you can buy at the Hamm show and bring home the same as if you bought at a UK show, but getting a receipt & cites no. makes life easier if you are stopped

Any info on the thing would be great, oh an please dont direct me to the hamm site, my german is bab......... - no real info, just be prepared for a long que to get in, 1000's of people inside pushing and shoving and some great reptiles for sale.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Hamm for virgins Reply with quote

Make sure you have a receipt for anything live which you buy.

If you come back via the Chunnel be warned the French Customs are B**tards and if you say you have reptiles you will be treated like a taliban fighter!!!!!!

If you are bringing back venomous its my understanding of the law that a DWA only applies to the place you intend keeping them i.e. DWA's are issues to an address and do not apply in transit.

If you are taking back venomous make sure they are secure!!!!

They sell them in little tubs which are not safe for transport.

Nobody wants to read about Billy Brit who looses his cobra on the way over from Hamm or worse still get or allows someone to get bitten ..that would be disastrous for everyone in the hobby.

Take more money than you can afford as you'll want to buy too too much.

Take plenty to drink as it is so hot in the main halls.

Do not expect to see everything in one visit ..I do not think it is possible..

ENJOY

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
cjreptiles
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hamm for virgins Reply with quote

What currency do most people use/stall holders accept at Hamm? Is it only Euros or would pounds be accepted as well?
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Hamm Virgin Reply with quote

some will take sterling but I'd go for Euros

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
cjreptiles
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.
keiron
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the French customs are a pain in the a**e! in fact they held us up for so long we missed our train and had to wait 2 hours for the next one, while another car full of our friends (and a lot more reptiles than we had!) drove straight through ahead of us no questions asked!

On a positive note once they realised everything was in order they seemed quite interested in our 'haul' and at one point we had around 8 officers standing around the boot of the car while we explained what everything was, how big it grew, why we kept them e.t.c.
jacobsecology
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is the march one- i'm guessing pretty small compared to september/dec?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: