Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flexarium Heat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesj
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Flexarium Heat Reply with quote

Hi,

Im just setting up the heating in my 260 gallon flexarium for my chameleon. The UV is all in place and im happy with that. For the heating i have a dome fixture with a 100W spot controlled by a dimming thermostat. Because this is going to get quite hot i wanted it outside the flexarium. So i have two l shaped metal runners than sit on top of the flexarium and the dome fixture then sits on this. The metal runners do not get hot to the touch as there is very little surface contact with the dome, so im not worried about these. But i am worried about the heat from the bulb on the mesh of the flexairum. The surface of the bulb is about 2 inches away from the mesh, how much heat can the mesh take without it becomming a fire hazard? Anyone else had problems of melting the mesh or anything with bulbs?
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi james, I personally have never had any bother with the flexariums regarding the bulb, I too raise mine on blocks and the mesh does tend to bleach with the heat a bit, but thats been it in my experience maybe others can add more.
Love Karen
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,
Everything seems to be ok at the moment, and the mesh appears to by holding up. So hopefully there will be no problems!
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when I used my flex I too raised the bulb away from the mesh using blocks- however the blocks I used were a real BAD choice, off cuts from a viv- the heat of the bulb melted the glue on the covering, the covering lifted up and I had to deal with a small but very smelly fire. Thank god I was around at the time or I dread to imagine the outcome. The other problem I had was that locusts tended to congregate under the bulb and I was concerned that my cham would burn his tongue when he snatched at them, so I diitched the flex.The bulbs did stain the mesh a sort of rusty brown but held up to the heat very well. I think some folk can get on with them and some can't, I'm in the can't group. although I do use them as chams summer homes in the garden.
love Jan
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across this question before. I use runners (well 3x1's as it goes) on my flexi vivs and the bulbs are about half an inch away but have never burnt the mesh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: