Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place for decor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Best place for decor Reply with quote

My decor needs replacing so im looking for somewhere that has a good range of plastic plants to choose from. Is there anything else available besides Exo-Terra plastic plants.

Also has anybody tried those live air plants that are advertised on LF.

Cheers
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a pair of the live air plants Tillandsia ionantha, and they look the business Laughing ( I ave had them before)

You can always make your own fake plants?

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What setup are you trying to revamp? desert? tropical? temperate?

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they like maintenance wise.

How do you go about making your own plants....any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Im going for semi arid/ desert look.

Thanks
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the airplants sold by live food really dont need much of anything really... just hot glue them in place and lightly mist once a week. people use them in Dart frog terrariums with no luck mainly due to the humidity and lack of good air flow. So in a semi arid setup they would work well.

depending what animal will be in the vivarium ( meaning if they eat vegitation, and size) you could try a number of live plants.. small Aloes, lithrops (living stones) and a number of other desert succulents.

to keep them from being dug up or knocked down before filling the tank with substrate silicone drain pipe of an apropriate length to the base of the vivarium. drill a series of holes in the drain pipe (prior to siliconing Wink ) to allow moisture to leave. Then plant in those.

to make sure they drain well put pea gravel or simular in the bottom of the pipe before you add the substrate.

Live suitable live plants look a whole lot better than plastic or other fuax plants IMO.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Brilliant...thanks.

Have you any ideas as to where i could get Spinifex or Porcupine Grass from or at least something similar looking. If i was to go with real plants i would really like to use some of Australia's native plants if that's possible.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That i'm not sure of. If you go to the royal horticultural society website they ave a pant locator on there Smile

Finding Australian natives might be hard tho.

Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinifex would look great, but - if the viv is too small to walk into - it would stab your hands to death Shocked

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: