Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving Reptiles by Road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ancouriers
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Moving Reptiles by Road Reply with quote

Hi All

I own my own courier business, and I would like to offer my services to all reptile owners. But before I can I would like to be able to offer a service that is friendly and safe to all reptiles

Would it be possible for you to let me know your experiences in moving reptiles. Have you moved reptiles by vehicle if so, what did you use, were the animals alright using this method

What did you use to transport them, polystyrene boxes, poly sacks, what was used for heat, hot water bottles, pop bottles, heat pads etc

Any info you can give me would be much appreciated

Thanks
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Neil, welcome to the forum. Do you keep any herps just out of interest?

I suppose it all depends upon the type of herp to be transported. Humidity requirements, heat, etc. I beleive the standard method is polly box and heat pads if required for the national courier service. Also would depend if you had air con vans? Are your van (s) racked out?

Would be good to see more choice in the livestock courier market.

Please keep us updated on your progress, good luck.

ancouriers
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rickeezee

Thak you for the reply

I don't keep any type of herp myself (wife wouldn't let me). I do breed and exhibit Budgerigars

I don't have a rack system in the van yet, but if the interest was there for my service then I would definitally have a rack system fitted. I do have an invertor that wil allow me to use heat pads if needed

I am presently looking for a new van that will have air conditioning fitted

Neil
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it all Neil and keep us up to date with progress, hard to gauge demand for such a service, but it would be great to see some healthy competition out there.

argentine_boa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have done a lot of transporting reptiles from north england to south west devon. I don't put them in any plastic cages such as contico boxes as this will cause them a lot of stress so I put them in a pillow case inside a incubator and keep them warm inside there. I wouldn't use air con to warm the snakes as I have heard that it might not be so good with them but as you have a invertor fitted i would put a ceramic heater inside with a thermostat as with heat mats it is directly on them as they won't be able to get off it where ceramics give them a better ambient temp.
Hope this helps and all goes well.
Have Merry xmas and a happy new year
argentine_boa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have done a lot of transporting reptiles from north england to south west devon. I don't put them in any plastic cages such as contico boxes as this will cause them a lot of stress so I put them in a pillow case inside a incubator and keep them warm inside there. I wouldn't use air con to warm the snakes as I have heard that it might not be so good with them but as you have a invertor fitted i would put a ceramic heater inside with a thermostat as with heat mats it is directly on them as they won't be able to get off it where ceramics give them a better ambient temp.
Hope this helps and all goes well.
Have Merry xmas and a happy new year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: