Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini viv for ocellated skinks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Mini viv for ocellated skinks Reply with quote

I needed something small enough for these that would be secure from cats and kids, only prob is finding something,here's my effort feom two melamine cd boxes, some hardboard offcuts, a little perspex and quite a bit of bad language Laughing I'd say scaling down is way harder than scaling up but the skinks are in and having a good troll around and a climb so looks like they approve at least xxxxx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

few more
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic of the skink is pretty blurred and as I can't zoom in any further this is whats actually in there Laughing (courtesy of Google)
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Wow isnt that lovely. I never cease to be amazed at how inventive Herpers are! It looks great and the little Skinks are adorable too. Thinking about it I have G.A.L.S. that breed like rabbitts and I am told Skinks adore small snails so maybe I should buy a pair!. Lovely pics- thanks for sharing.
love jan
herp_boi
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one mate Very Happy very small lizard!
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys these only reach about 8 inches max so that will do for them as adults. I really wanted something that was the right size for them as well as looking reasonable, the cd boxes were donated and I'm very pleased with the end result, the pics show joins far more than for real. Both skinks have become far morw active and visable since getting their new home so it looks like that might be a hit, now for the little snake vivs, lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Cost in total was about 6 pounds as I did have some of the bits already)
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're great little skinks, always fancied setting a viv up for a group.

We used to have them all the time in a shop I worked at, had them in about 2" of bird sand, real hot basking site and they did seem to really use the UV light too.

They would breed all the time in that setup, just scoop out the babies every so often Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just buy a 2ft or 3ft viv?

I for one think that looks cheap and nasty. I'm not having a go but lets be honest, it doesnt look very nice. Surely if you are displaying your reptiles you want your setup to look great?

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garysumpter wrote:
Why not just buy a 2ft or 3ft viv?

I for one think that looks cheap and nasty. I'm not having a go but lets be honest, it doesnt look very nice. Surely if you are displaying your reptiles you want your setup to look great?

Gary

Gary, I don't think she was asking opinions of the set up, just showing us pics...so I think your comments are very unnecessary and rude. We all have different ideas on what we like or how we want things to look, also we all have different budgets to work to. That's not including the fact that some people like the sense of satisfaction in building and making their own cages. Please think twice before posting up negative comments that aren't invited.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I am not trying to cause any problems, I was discussing this 2 nights ago with several other breeders and keepers.

Its a shame that you can never post honest opinions without having your head bitten off.

The amount of posts I have read of people posting pics of their homemade vivs that look naff and everyone says they look great, I prefer to be honest.

Delete my post if you wish.

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: