Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constant Respiratory Infections - Can't figure WHY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachel132002
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Constant Respiratory Infections - Can't figure WHY Reply with quote

Right some of you may know i keep getting an issue of respiratory infections in my snakes and yet another one has appeared and a couple others are wheezy but the problem is i cannot for the life of me figure out WHY.

I check temps regularly with a TN1 digital thermometer and all are correct and those which are racked you can feel the air in boxes is warm those that arent are on ceramic heaters.

It is a common factor of the snakes that get these are those in my bedroom but i don't know why, i don't use plug in or spray air fresheners, i don't spray perfumes/deodrants etc in there i don't put any powder down when i hoover, i don't smoke in there, i don't leave windows open or anything and every viv is on a stat.

So my guess is whatever is causing this is an envrionmental factor of my room but i can't think of anything other than the above to suggest a cause and all new snakes are quarantined for 3months in here and any found to be ill are also taken away from the main collection.

I'm discussing this with my vet for ideas to bounce around but wondered if any of you can think of other causes and i also use vetaclean as a disinfectant dilluted down if that's relevant and i use newspaper for substrate.

Rach
2 BCC
2 JCP
2 Leos
1 Beardy
2 Cresties
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dust from the substrate ?????
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, you've said there aren't any drafts, windows left open, but is there enough air circulation in the room? Is there enough through flow of air to exchange the air in the racks etc?
Probably not relevant, just thought I'd ask as it was viewing it from another angle.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, what species are you having the problems with?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
rachel132002
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically anything that enters my room, i've had it with corns but right now i have it in a pastel royal (this is a 2nd bout with him and he's on marbocyl as we speak) though all others seem fine and a female jcp seems a bit wheezy although the mouth is clear, all others are fine incl. male jcp and boas so it's just 1 royal whos back in qurantine and maybe a jcp though i don't know if it's just heavy exhales where she lumps herself around a lot as i did take her to the vets about 3months back and she got the all clear and nothings changed since.

Rach
2 BCC
2 JCP
2 Leos
1 Beardy
2 Cresties
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Budsteam
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be on totally the wrong track here, but one thing you would have more of in a bedroom is dust mites. Whatever bedding you use its pretty tough to keep dust mites away. Just a thought
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't RI's contagious?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking the same Scott perhaps once cleared up it would'nt spread ?

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ri's are contagious. One of our Savus had one after we brought him home. We had him quarantined for just over a month, as that was the length of time he was on Baytril for. He has since had no recurrence, and we've kept an eye on his temps, humidity etc.

Hope you get it sorted out, Rach, as administering the meds is no fun! Laughing
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just sorted my adult male jcp with daily injections
its no fun at all .but hes a great snake and never tried once
to bite me, he went down with it on cooling him .hes 100% now
and in with his misses again .. Twisted Evil

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: